The Student Room Group

Wearing white to a wedding

So there is a wedding im attending in August, and last month (before i knew about the wedding) i brought a really beautiful cold shoulder white lace dress mid-length (pic below) AND i was like "this looks perfect for a wedding", FAST FORAWRD a month later i was invited to the wedding and FIRST i was like yassss i get to wear the dress!! (never wore it defore) then i went up online bcz i know some ppl find it inappropiate, but then i fought out that it was the VAST majority that fount it inappropiate. I feel a bit iffy-bitty now, bcz it was quite expensive and i dont want to buy another dress for that price for just another colour BUT THEN i dont wanna upset the wedding couple!! Please give me advice if i should buy another dress OR keep and wear the white dress (and what colour blazer, shoes and accesories to wear).
Thank u!! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

can you post a pic of you wearing the dress ? :holmes:
It looks fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Talkand...Talk
So there is a wedding im attending in August, and last month (before i knew about the wedding) i brought a really beautiful cold shoulder white lace dress mid-length (pic below) AND i was like "this looks perfect for a wedding", FAST FORAWRD a month later i was invited to the wedding and FIRST i was like yassss i get to wear the dress!! (never wore it defore) then i went up online bcz i know some ppl find it inappropiate, but then i fought out that it was the VAST majority that fount it inappropiate. I feel a bit iffy-bitty now, bcz it was quite expensive and i dont want to buy another dress for that price for just another colour BUT THEN i dont wanna upset the wedding couple!! Please give me advice if i should buy another dress OR keep and wear the white dress (and what colour blazer, shoes and accesories to wear).

Yes, it's wrong to wear white to a wedding, unless you are the bride!
Don't go in all black either, it's not a funeral.
Any other coloured formal dress is appropriate.
Pretty simple really.
I wouldn't be bothered if someone wore white to my wedding assuming it wasn't an actual wedding dress.
I wouldn't do it mainly because many people would find it disrespectful.
Original post by Legendary Quest
I wouldn't do it mainly because many people would find it disrespectful.

Okayyyy BUT what if i wear a deep pink blazer and shoes, and pink makeup and accesorizes??
Original post by omfgalib
Yes, it's wrong to wear white to a wedding, unless you are the bride!
Don't go in all black either, it's not a funeral.
Any other coloured formal dress is appropriate.
Pretty simple really.

thxs for reply. But i might just add loads of colour to the outfit

It is incredibly disrespectful to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride. It is also extremely poor taste to wear black, a colour of mourning, or the same colour as the mother of the bride or the bridesmaids at a wedding ceremony. If you do wear this dress, you could cause serious offence.

I would buy another dress to avoid offence and disrespect
Okayyyy BUT what if i wear a deep pink blazer and shoes, and pink makeup and accesorizes??

You're just being silly.

That's a pretty good idea. It also stops you from wasting money on another dress. If you do have money for another dress then get a new one but if not then just work with what you have,
Original post by omfgalib
You're just being silly.

lol!! Thxs for your opinion!!
Original post by super_kawaii
It is incredibly disrespectful to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride. It is also extremely poor taste to wear black, a colour of mourning, or the same colour as the mother of the bride or the bridesmaids at a wedding ceremony. If you do wear this dress, you could cause serious offence.

I would buy another dress to avoid offence and disrespect

ok then! thxs for advice and opinion!! :biggrin:
thxs for reply. But i might just add loads of colour to the outfit

It is still a major faux pas and could cause serious offence if you wear a white dress to a wedding, even if your accessories are different colours
Reply 15
Depends on the bride really. If you're going to wear a white dress, you're going to have to wear bright colourful accessories and be prepared to wear a cardigan or jacket all day/evening.

If the bride is someone you know well enough, it could be worth asking them how they feel, if not, and they're fairly traditional, don't even risk it.
Original post by super_kawaii
It is still a major faux pas and could cause serious offence if you wear a white dress to a wedding, even if your accessories are different colours

ok i think i will just avoid all that and buy another dress lol!!! Thxs! :biggrin:
I'd never do it, mainly because the bride would be wearing white.
Original post by Aula
Depends on the bride really. If you're going to wear a white dress, you're going to have to wear bright colourful accessories and be prepared to wear a cardigan or jacket all day/evening.

If the bride is someone you know well enough, it could be worth asking them how they feel, if not, and they're fairly traditional, don't even risk it.

Im not that close to them its my parents who are friends with the man getting married but not like super close.
Original post by claireestelle
I wouldn't be bothered if someone wore white to my wedding assuming it wasn't an actual wedding dress.

Great, I already have my outfit picked out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending