The Student Room Group

Books to avoid? Any recommendations?

I want to apply for Natural Sciences (biological) and I was wondering if there are any books which I should avoid reading since everyone has read them? And what books would you recommend reading?
Reply 1
im assuming you're doing (well, just did) AS?

whats your side stream for Natsci (im doing physical, with inorganic chemistry, finished A2).

Firstly go onto the websites for the universities you want to apply to. They have a recommended reading list, id pick maybe 2 books per university (for about 3 unis) and read them.

Have you read 'the selfish gene'?
how about 'Genome: the autobiography of a species in 23 chapters'?
Original post by kelefi
im assuming you're doing (well, just did) AS?

whats your side stream for Natsci (im doing physical, with inorganic chemistry, finished A2).

Firstly go onto the websites for the universities you want to apply to. They have a recommended reading list, id pick maybe 2 books per university (for about 3 unis) and read them.

Have you read 'the selfish gene'?
how about 'Genome: the autobiography of a species in 23 chapters'?

yes, i have just finished AS. I would like to do earth sciences as my side stream. That seems like a good idea, and thanks for the book recommendations!
what uni are you planning on going to?
Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene or James Watson's The Double Helix or DNA are the clinched ones, they are also looking a little old now as biology has moved on.

I'd suggest Nick Lane's Power, Sex and Suicide or The Vital Question if you have an interest in molecular biology or biochemistry. Both great books as they give a lot of insight into how you should think about the subject.

There is also a book called The Gene: An Intimate History that has just come out. I haven't read it, but I've seen a few reviews praising it.
Reply 4
Original post by indecisiveness
yes, i have just finished AS. I would like to do earth sciences as my side stream. That seems like a good idea, and thanks for the book recommendations!
what uni are you planning on going to?

UCL
how about you?
Original post by Quantex
Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene or James Watson's The Double Helix or DNA are the clinched ones, they are also looking a little old now as biology has moved on.

I'd suggest Nick Lane's Power, Sex and Suicide or The Vital Question if you have an interest in molecular biology or biochemistry. Both great books as they give a lot of insight into how you should think about the subject.

There is also a book called The Gene: An Intimate History that has just come out. I haven't read it, but I've seen a few reviews praising it.

is it worth reading Power, Sex and Suicide even though it was published in 2006: is the information still relevant or should i read more updated books? (i ask for any science books in general too)

anyway thanks for the recommendations! (you don't by any chance know any earth science books too?)
Original post by kelefi
UCL
how about you?

oh wow congrats! well ideally cambridge but idk what other unis i should apply to :/ bc in ucl for example i am limited since i don't do chem or physics a level so my choice of modules is limited, and same applies to other unis for natsci :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending