The Student Room Group

What calculator do you use?

Scroll to see replies

CASIO fx-83GT PLUS. :u:
Original post by RDKGames
I use a Casio 991ES Plus but my teacher got this a few months ago and now I want it x_x

OH MY GODD, what is that????1 i want it! is that allowed though? looks advanced, like alien style

Original post by Plagioclase
I've used it for three years now since AS Maths. Fantastic calculator. The quadratic solver gives you a nice little boost in most exams, the calculus functions give you extra peace of mind in most A Level exams and the matrix and vector functions can be very useful in Further Maths.

that sounds comforting :hoppy: i'll get it soon!
Casio Classwiz fx-991EX. I don't think it is currently sold in the UK (yet) so you'd have to pay for shipping fees. Look it up to find out more. I'll need to invest in this soon, it's about £20 xD

And yes, it is allowed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
I primarily use the two CASIOs, but I own the TI as well. I didn't end up taking the graphical calculator to any of my exams because I felt like I didn't need it.

I mostly used the silver one for calculations, but had one in radians and one in degrees in core exams, and one in stat mode in stats exams. Both in radians in FP modules. :lol:

CASIO FX-991 ES PLUS

CASIO FX-991 EX CLASSWIZ

TI-84

I highly recommend the black Casio paired with a decent Casio graphical (the TI calculators are not very user friendly) if you're not the most mathematically inclined (or for any A level student who doesn't want to tinker around too much). :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
image.jpg
Bit pricey.
Casio Classwiz fx-991EX. I don't think it is currently sold in the UK (yet) so you'd have to pay for shipping fees. Look it up to find out more. I'll need to invest in this soon xD

And yes, it is allowed.

is it the same as cassio fx 991es but the looks is different so they replaced s with x?
Casio FX-420
Reply 47
Original post by B_9710
image.jpg
Bit pricey.

It looks like it's built like a tank...
Different model, different design. Overall the EX is more advantageous in terms of processing speed, memory, solving quartic polynomials, 4x4 matrices and much more stuff that I dont remember.
Original post by Katiee224
I would recommend investing in a Casio Fx-9860GII aswell, it gained me 2 marks in the C3 exam as I forgot how to draw arcsin :laugh:

Also you can download programs to do calculus for you, however this is banned in exams and I do not recommend doing this.

Also it serves as a good backup incase your main one dies in the exam.

Ah I love calculators :cute:

I used the slightly less powerful FX-9750GII.
So useful to check if you integrated or differentiated correctly, you can even check symbolic integration/differentiation by substituting a number in and checking if they're the same.
Also very useful for checking if you split up into partial fractions correctly but putting the equations into the graph function.
To answer your question, just get yourself a Casio fx-991ES Plus. (or EX like previously if you're feeling badass :smile:) It has everything you would ever need for A-Level; solving quadratics, double/triple simultaneous equations, definite integration (very useful to check integrals) and more stuff. A graphical one isn't worth the investment if you're not doing FP modules, in my experience. The graphs you would be expected to sketch in Core modules are very straight forward and you will remember them throughout your revision, and even then they don't even ask you to sketch very often.
(edited 7 years ago)
To answer your question, just get yourself a Casio fx-991ES. (or EX like previously if you're feeling badass :smile:) It has everything you would ever need for A-Level; solving quadratics, double/triple simultaneous equations, definite integration (very useful to check integrals) and more stuff. A graphical one isn't worth the investment if you're not doing FP modules, in my experience. The graphs you would be expected to sketch in Core modules are very straight forward and you will remember them throughout your revision, and even then they don't even ask you to sketch very often.

thanks for the advice! this sums up my final choice then :hoppy:
Sorry I meant Casio fx-991ES Plus. Forgot the Plus and that's the calculator I use lol. So got for Casio fx-991ES Plus or Casio fx-991EX and you're set for A-Level. My previous points still stand. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
This got me through A-Level just fine:

you needed to use minutes and seconds in your angles ? :afraid: *
Original post by yoda123
Casio FX-83GT, does everything you need
I bought a graphical calculator for stats because everyone else did but I didn't even use it tbh

Did the same , hardly use it though :s-smilie::wink:
Reply 55
Casio 911 EX Classwiz is a great calculator. It's basically an updated version of the 911 ES Plus. It can do 4×4 matrices, 4 simultaneous eqns, spreadsheets and has a fancy QR code thing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
This got me through A-Level just fine:

Had this beast before FX-85 Plus took its place :love:
Reply 57
Graphical calculators cost an absolute bomb.
With they would allow mobile phones with calculator apps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
you needed to use minutes and seconds in your angles ? :afraid: *

lol. btw, do you intentionally add a asterisk to the end of all your posts?
Original post by EricPiphany
lol. btw, do you intentionally add a asterisk to the end of all your posts?

no...it is some new tsr thang :redface:*

Quick Reply

Latest