The Student Room Group

Studying Law in France

Hey, recently I've been looking to study in France but I don't have many informations on how to do it or what is necessary to get in a French university. Is there any sort of entrance requirements? They demand specific A levels ? And of course which one would be the best for this subject ? Paris 1 or Assas ?
Hi!

I'm French and a former law student in France, at Nanterre university, in the Paris suburbs. I just finished the first year of my Masters in international law.
Entrance requirements for a "licence" (undergraduate study) or a "master" (postgraduate study) in law are different. French students starting their licence in law just need their "baccalauréat", the equivalent of British A-levels. As long as you pass, no particular grades are required most of the time, though if you want to get into Assas you will need very good results. If you're thinking of starting a Masters, for either university you would need a 2:1, or a good 2:2.
As for choosing between Paris 1 or Assas, honestly both are just as good. I guess you should choose according to what you want to specialize in, though Assas has higher entrance requirements than the vast majority of other French universities.

Something you need to know though is that French universities are good (especially those you're thinking of applying to), but the system in general is rather disorganised and administrative services aren't always as helpful as you would expect. If you end up coming to France and find yourself to be lost, don't hesitate to ask for help from other students or a student association. :smile:

Cheers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by clockwork_orange
Hi!

I'm French and a former law student in France, at Nanterre university, in the Paris suburbs. I just finished the first year of my Masters in international law.
Entrance requirements for a "licence" (undergraduate study) or a "master" (postgraduate study) in law are different. French students starting their licence in law just need their "baccalauréat", the equivalent of British A-levels. As long as you pass, no particular grades are required most of the time, though if you want to get into Assas you will need very good results. If you're thinking of starting a Masters, for either university you would need a 2:1, or a good 2:2.
As for choosing between Paris 1 or Assas, honestly both are just as good. I guess you should choose according to what you want to specialize in, though Assas has higher entrance requirements than the vast majority of other French universities.

Something you need to know though is that French universities are good (especially those you're thinking of applying to), but the system in general is rather disorganised and administrative services aren't always as helpful as you would expect. If you end up coming to France and find yourself to be lost, don't hesitate to ask for help from other students or a student association. :smile:

Cheers!

Hi there!

This thread is very old so I imagine you won't reply, but would I be able to ask you a few questions?

Quick Reply

Latest