The Student Room Group

Opinions on marriages

First let's establish the difference between forced and arranged marriages.

Forced is when one or both parties don't want to marry but feel they have no choice and are potentially scared for their safety so do because they are told by figures of authority but against their will.

Arranged marriages is when both parties are willing to marry and may ask figures of authority to arrange a marriage for them.

I want to know your opinion on ARRANGED MARRIAGES.

Sorry the title was meant to say "opinions on arranged marriages" my bad
(edited 7 years ago)
Arranged Marriages: In other words, the result of asian countries giving up on ridiculous notions like love, and treating marriage like what it really is - a transaction.
I don't care about arranged marriages, if the people in question and their families want cash, then the marriage will take place regardless of religion or 'custom'. Let's be honest it's about cash not love.

I do care about forced marriages, I could go on forever about how abominable it is, but the short answer is that it shouldn't happen. I don't give two ***** about your religion or financial status, if they don't want to get married then they shouldn't have to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Esoteric-
Arranged Marriages: In other words, the result of asian countries giving up on ridiculous notions like love, and treating marriage like what it really is - a transaction.

That was the old way. Don't get me wrong, it still happens now in lots of really rich communities to keep the wealth and status within the same society, as well as poor villages, because that was the tradition.

Now, it's changed, and arranged marriages are kind of like parents being a personalised tinder for you, where you get to swipe accordingly, but with all the filters already put in place. You are given choice now, opposed to something that was forced on you, wayyy back then.
Arranged marriages work for many who would not otherwise be able to find a spouse without the extra help from parents etc to find them someone. Nothing wrong with it, it may go against the romantic idea of marriage we have but if anything that's quite a new idea
Reply 5
Meh, marriage is a wonderful institution... But who in their right mind wants to live in an institution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply