Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

[IB student] Oxford Maths/Maths & Statistics

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am an IB student (between penultimate and final year) with the following subjects taken:

[HL] Maths
    [HL] Economics
    [HL] Geography
    [HL] English B

[SL] Polish A
    [SL] Chemistry

Initially, I wanted to apply for PPE, which I still find highly interesting and appealing, but I started to wonder about possibility of studying Maths/M&S as this is the area that I also enjoy (and one I am quite good at). Before making the final decision I need to know whether my subject combination is at all suitable for Maths (I've found data that 82% of Oxford M&S students had Physics as their A-Level), or whether would I be disadvantaged without IB Further Maths/further science subject. Do you know anyone who has gotten into Oxford with relatively artsy subjects or would you rather think that it is too late for me to consider maths (as I cannot change my subjects) and should focus on PPE instead?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I know that MAT is also an important factor for admissions but let's assume that I may do well in it and focus on my IB subjects for now

I am also doing IB. Do not take IB Futher Maths . It is absolutely not necessary. Yes the majority of students that study Maths at Oxbridge have previously taken physics in IB and A-lavels. I do not think that it should be a major drawback for you...
    There is no "perfect" subject choice for any course and there can be always deviations. I would say that you have a decent subject choice that can get you into Human Science course, PPE or just pure Economics course (more suitable).

You absolutely won't be disadvantaged for not taking Further Maths. It's a very very rare subject, most people have never heard of it, let alone take it. Also you're half-way through the DP already so no point in changing subjects now.
    As long as you have HL Maths, you can be made an offer for Maths. You just need to do well in the MAT, and at interview if invited.

(Original post by Skye25)
    As long as you have HL Maths, you can be made an offer for Maths. You just need to do well in the MAT, and at interview if invited.
    Agree wholly with this. Do note 39 with 766 at HL and 7 in maths is the standard offer.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.