The Student Room Group

Can I use clearing if I have my grades and an offer?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this for the past month. I am a gap year student and I had to resit to 2 exams this year just to up the grade. I got BBC last year and this year I think I'll end up with ABC.

I currently have an offer from Reading for Geography andI wanted to just call to enquire to see if they'd be willing to accept my grades as they are and see if I can slip through clearing. Or should I wait until results day and see if I get in?

Thanks
Original post by rebelllefleur
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this for the past month. I am a gap year student and I had to resit to 2 exams this year just to up the grade. I got BBC last year and this year I think I'll end up with ABC.

I currently have an offer from Reading for Geography andI wanted to just call to enquire to see if they'd be willing to accept my grades as they are and see if I can slip through clearing. Or should I wait until results day and see if I get in?

Thanks

So you have a conditional offer? I take it the offer is above BBC?

You're in the applicant cycle so even if they are advertising lower entry requirements your current offer will stand. They can't accept you outside of the current cycle, you will have to wait until results day.

Fingers crossed your grades don't go down... if they did and they were below the grade requirements they might not accept you. It's not a nice thing to think about but worth preparing for. Do you have an insurance choice?

You have to declare all your grades, especially if they change via a re-sit.

Have you checked the UCAS tool today to see if it's in Clearing and what the entry requirements are?

@Carnationlilyrose @PQ please can I get a sense check on this advice? :h:
Original post by rebelllefleur
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Clearing isn't for people who have a firm offer with a university - if you want to enter clearing then you'd have to ask your firm choice to agree to that.

If you're just worried about missing your offer then your best advice is to wait. Universities get your grades before you do (but only a few days before) and if the can accept you with lower grades than your offer then they will. Calling before then and talking about Clearing risks a misunderstanding and them putting you into clearing against your wishes.
Original post by She-Ra

@Carnationlilyrose @PQ please can I get a sense check on this advice? :h:

PQ's got it covered, as always.
I'm pretty sure I know this answer to this but I'll just double check...

If you get accepted into your firm, do you then have to decline their offer in order to call up other universities to see if they will accept you onto their course through clearing?
Original post by Katiee224
I'm pretty sure I know this answer to this but I'll just double check...

If you get accepted into your firm, do you then have to decline their offer in order to call up other universities to see if they will accept you onto their course through clearing?

If you get accepted to your firm you CAN'T decline your offer unilaterally. You have to contact your firm and ASK if they will place you into clearing.

When they get round to doing this (on average it takes 48 hours from results day, in some cases it can take 2 weeks if your firm is being unhelpful) then you'll be officially in Clearing. Until that point universities are forbidden from talking to you about places (it's considered "poaching" other university's applicants).
Original post by PQ
If you get accepted to your firm you CAN'T decline your offer unilaterally. You have to contact your firm and ASK if they will place you into clearing.

When they get round to doing this (on average it takes 48 hours from results day, in some cases it can take 2 weeks if your firm is being unhelpful) then you'll be officially in Clearing. Until that point universities are forbidden from talking to you about places (it's considered "poaching" other university's applicants).

So am I right in assuming once your firm agrees to put you in clearing, you no longer have a spot with that university? So if you can't find anywhere better and change your mind they don't have to take you back?

Also does what you have told me also apply to your insurance choice? (if you got accepted into your insurance and not your firm)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Katiee224
So am I right in assuming once your firm agrees to put you in clearing, you no longer have a spot with that university? So if you can't find anywhere better and change your mind they don't have to take you back?

Also does what you have told me also apply to your insurance choice? (if you got accepted into your insurance and not your firm)

Yes - if you're placed into clearing then you forfeit your firm choice.

If your firm accepts you then your insurance choice is no longer valid. Once accepted by your firm the only way to switch to your insurance is to ask to be placed into clearing and hope they're willing to accept you via that route.

If your firm reject you but your insurance accept you then you have to ask your insurance choice to be placed into clearing. In doing so you would forfeit your insurance choice.

Clearing is designed to match unplaced applicants with vacancies - not to allow applicants to play the field.
Original post by PQ
Yes - if you're placed into clearing then you forfeit your firm choice.

If your firm accepts you then your insurance choice is no longer valid. Once accepted by your firm the only way to switch to your insurance is to ask to be placed into clearing and hope they're willing to accept you via that route.

If your firm reject you but your insurance accept you then you have to ask your insurance choice to be placed into clearing. In doing so you would forfeit your insurance choice.

Clearing is designed to match unplaced applicants with vacancies - not to allow applicants to play the field.

Okay makes sense, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending