The Student Room Group

What are my options?

lhkjloiuytdcfgvhbjnkl
(edited 7 years ago)
Think you need to do Maths and furthermaths a levels. For the best comp sci unis
Reply 2
What A-levels did you do? Getting into CS without the mathematics will be nigh on impossible even with top grades in other subjects...
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
Think you need to do Maths and furthermaths a levels. For the best comp sci unis

Yes, I am aware of this. I've looked at others, such as Queen Mary's and Kent who don't necessarily require maths and have respectable computer science departments. I'm still looking for others in the same calibre, but unfortunately, most of them are outside of London.

Can't stop stressing over this, and waiting until results day and clearing just sounds like a sick game of chance and luck - which I don't like.
Why not do something like the foundation year at UCL or Warwick?
Reply 5
Original post by _howl
I did AS maths and did pretty well, but stupidly chose to drop it for A2. My other subjects are English, Law and Philosophy.

Yeah, English, Law and Phil really aren't ideal for CS.

Maths/FM/Phys/CS are more typical subject combinations for CS courses... all of the higher ranking unis will want at least two of those in all honesty.

Why the sudden change in heart?
Reply 6
Original post by Incongruous
Why not do something like the foundation year at UCL or Warwick?

They're all for international students :frown:
Original post by _howl
They're all for international students :frown:

Are you sure? I thought they were for good students who did the wrong subjects...?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/preparatory-certificates/contact-us

Send them a message on the lines of

"I did x, y, z A levels with predicted grades of: _____ . I would really want to study CompSci at undergraduate level but I lack the right A level subjects. Would someone with my background have a good chance of getting accepted on the course you offer?" You won't know until you ask them.
Reply 8
Original post by Incongruous
Are you sure? I thought they were for good students who did the wrong subjects...?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/preparatory-certificates/contact-us

Send them a message on the lines of

"I did x, y, z A levels with predicted grades of: _____ . I would really want to study CompSci at undergraduate level but I lack the right A level subjects. Would someone with my background have a good chance of getting accepted on the course you offer?" You won't know until you ask them.

Interesting. I'll give this a go right now, though, it does explicitly say somewhere on the UCL site that the foundation years are for international students. But I'll still give it a try, thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
They're more interested in your academic background rather than any details why you want to do CompSci. Leave your reasons for wanting to do CompSci for your PS.

Original post by _howl
I know.

Law is great, but I'm no longer entirely sure if I have the emotional strength to work as what I initially wanted to. Both my parents and elder siblings have degrees in Computer Science and have persuaded me into also studying it. It's relatively straightforward and logic based - which I like. With the help of my parents, I've learnt the basics of java development and web programming and pretty much want to be ahead of the game.
Original post by _howl
I've changed my mind about what I would like to study at university. Now, instead of Law I would like to study Computer Science. I was predicted A*AA for my A-Levels when all are non-stem subjects, and on top of that, due to unforeseen medical circumstances, I had missed two of my A2 exams. The special-consideration-forms-and-etc side of things has been sorted out, but it's dreadful to know that my final grades are left to the discretion of the exam boards.

I've contacted my firm who didn't offer computer science and have withdrawn my application. I contacted my insurance and asked them if I could change courses - they still haven't given me a final response and I'm not sure if they will.

Another thing is that I don't want to move out due to my health issues. Trying to find a university which is a travelable distance from home, has a good reputation, will take into consideration my extenuating circumstances AND will accept me without A-Levels in STEM subjects is hard - if not impossible.

What else can I do? Is there any other route I can take to get into a decent university, or perhaps any apprenticeships worth looking at (I've taken a look at quite a handful, however, most of the applications are closed)?

P.S. It should be noted that I'm not prepared to splash out £9,000 of my family money on a university that offers rubbish graduate prospectuses, has little to no reputation and is known for being - bluntly put - ****.

Should be alright for the top unis that don't have Maths a level as a pre-req.

Nottingham in particularly is one of the best for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending