The Student Room Group

Do you class buying expensive clothes as rubbish

Scroll to see replies

Original post by struggler07
Like if you spend £100 on jeans, jackets for £150 etc mum says I waste my money on foolishness what do you guys think

it depends...id you work really hard or save for ages because ypu fins something you love then no ot's not rubbish at all. If you are someone witha fine eye for detail and quite picky, then the things you love are just the things you love (regardless of the price)

but if you're one of those people who buy just to keep up with trends (which they probs don't truly understand the character of the trend) or they're just **** at spending money.. then yeah I guess rubissh
Like if you spend £100 on jeans, jackets for £150 etc mum says I waste my money on foolishness what do you guys think

it depends...id you work really hard or save for ages because ypu fins something you love then no ot's not rubbish at all. If you are someone witha fine eye for detail and quite picky, then the things you love are just the things you love (regardless of the price)

but if you're one of those people who buy just to keep up with trends (which they probs don't truly understand the character of the trend) or they're just **** at spending money.. then yeah I guess rubissh
Yeah £100 on one item is expensive but you get what you payed for

i bought 5 shirts for £2.50 at the weekend. *
Good quality
Trust me expensive clothes are made of better materials it would last longer ,you get what you payed for in the end you save money

I understand what you're saying, I personally don't mind buying an expensive jackets, jeans or trainers (jordans, timberlands ) as they look great and I will use them for a long time. However I have come across stuff expensive which looks awful despite being made from good material (example yeezys) so yeah.
That's true you gotta balance it out, you can't be too cheap
Do what makes you feel good, one day 90percent of my wealth will be invested in the watches I own
Original post by Randyyy
Do what makes you feel good, one day 90percent of my wealth will be invested in the watches I own

Yeah true how much would u spend on a watch
Yeah true how much would u spend on a watch

The cheapest watched I've bought were between 60 and 80 pounds each, a Fossil and T-Hilfiger.
The most expensive were 2 gucci watches 640-700 pounds each.
As I'm getting mor3 experienced though I'm looking more for the complications on the watch and brand and price interest me less.

Looking to buy a Seiko skx007 next, phenomenal watch and worth every penny

Ps.my favourite watch is the Fossil, price really doesn't necessarily make a watch better or worse
Original post by Randyyy
The cheapest watched I've bought were between 60 and 80 pounds each, a Fossil and T-Hilfiger.
The most expensive were 2 gucci watches 640-700 pounds each.
As I'm getting mor3 experienced though I'm looking more for the complications on the watch and brand and price interest me less.

Looking to buy a Seiko skx007 next, phenomenal watch and worth every penny

Ps.my favourite watch is the Fossil, price really doesn't necessarily make a watch better or worse

Was the Tommy Hilfiger watch good quality was the 2 Gucci watched worth it and I got a Seiko Seiko are good quality init
Was the Tommy Hilfiger watch good quality was the 2 Gucci watched worth it and I got a Seiko Seiko are good quality init

The Tommy watch isn't of particularly high quality id say, it's not bad for sure. It has a double time zone and very casual look, bought it for when I dress down.

I bought the Gucci watches because I thought they looked stunning, in terms of horological value they shouldn't be sold for more than 200bucks to be fair haha, Swiss made though still.

Man, Seiko is the bomb. Most of the fashion watches use cheap Seiko movements anyway, they just build the case and add the name. Seiko I'd say gives you the most back for the money you spent and noone can trash talk Seiko because of the range of watches they have.

https://www.watch.co.uk/tommy-hilfiger-denim-black-gents-watch-with-silicone-strap-1791326.htm
That's the tommy, most of my watches are gathering dust in my wardrobe. I stick to the Fossil mostly.
To me it doesnt make sense unless it is for practical reasons (e.g. quality)

I saw a a Paul smith t-shirt being sold for £55 that was nothing more than a printed tee you would get from primark. You are literally only paying for the name in that case. It didnt even look good. So if its the same as something you can get from primark, and it doesnt look good - why would someone buy it? (Probably to show off how much money they are willing to spend on clothes, not necessarily how much money they earn/have)

But if I am looking for branded clothing that is high quality, I would still search through all the sales from the top online retailers at pawdi.com to make sure im not wasting my money.
Reply 93
designer clothes are for successful people if you are young and spending this much on these clothes then, in my opinion, your priorities are not in order.
Original post by Randyyy
The Tommy watch isn't of particularly high quality id say, it's not bad for sure. It has a double time zone and very casual look, bought it for when I dress down.

I bought the Gucci watches because I thought they looked stunning, in terms of horological value they shouldn't be sold for more than 200bucks to be fair haha, Swiss made though still.

Man, Seiko is the bomb. Most of the fashion watches use cheap Seiko movements anyway, they just build the case and add the name. Seiko I'd say gives you the most back for the money you spent and noone can trash talk Seiko because of the range of watches they have.

https://www.watch.co.uk/tommy-hilfiger-denim-black-gents-watch-with-silicone-strap-1791326.htm
That's the tommy, most of my watches are gathering dust in my wardrobe. I stick to the Fossil mostly.

Gucci watches seem overpriced for what you pay Seiko gets you the most out of ur money had Seiko watch for over a year it’s still good is fossil as good as Seiko
Original post by AsalaR
designer clothes are for successful people if you are young and spending this much on these clothes then, in my opinion, your priorities are not in order.

What about a £100 jacket
Original post by samuel12
To me it doesnt make sense unless it is for practical reasons (e.g. quality)

I saw a a Paul smith t-shirt being sold for £55 that was nothing more than a printed tee you would get from primark. You are literally only paying for the name in that case. It didnt even look good. So if its the same as something you can get from primark, and it doesnt look good - why would someone buy it? (Probably to show off how much money they are willing to spend on clothes, not necessarily how much money they earn/have)

But if I am looking for branded clothing that is high quality, I would still search through all the sales from the top online retailers at pawdi.com to make sure im not wasting my money.

The cotton they use is high quality and the quality is their and is pawdi good
Gucci watches seem overpriced for what you pay Seiko gets you the most out of ur money had Seiko watch for over a year it’s still good is fossil as good as Seiko

Fossil is wayy better for the price than brands like Gucci, Boss, Armani etc, but Seiko is still better. Fossil is still a fashion brand, just to lesser extent than the other brands

You are basically wasting the worlds resources by doingg this. It is definately wasteful. You could spend it on food or a form of transportation that does not harm the environment. Or you could invest it somehow.
Original post by Randyyy
Fossil is wayy better for the price than brands like Gucci, Boss, Armani etc, but Seiko is still better. Fossil is still a fashion brand, just to lesser extent than the other brands

Mmm true fossil do some decent watches they ain’t to expensive either

Quick Reply

Latest