The Student Room Group

How to stop worrying about exam results?

Hey all, so I'm awful for this, but I try my best to predict precisely each grade I am going to get. My GCSEs I got 4A*s in maths and the 3 sciences, then the rest were As and I predicted it pretty well. I've chosen Maths, further maths and physics (I dropped chemistry) for A level.
This is what I am expecting (I am harsh with my marks)
C1 = 67/75
C2 = 60/75
D1 = Like 45/75 :frown:(( Messed up
So that could equate to A, B, E or something.

Further maths:
Fp1 = 50/75 and was expecting 65 + although other people did have this same experience. A big wake up call in time management in exams
M1 = 65/75 so pulled it back.
D2 = 50-55/75 so hopefully a B.
If FP1 went well, I would have been happy with my Fmaths performance.
Physics:
Paper 1 = Ok
Paper 2 = Failed. Probably like 20-30 /70
I think physics will be my lowest grade - cannot see higher than a C/D at all.
What is ironic for physics 2 is that I filled 8 large whiteboards from memory for everything that was not covered in paper 1, in detail and depth and got a real good understanding of topics, and my teachers came in the classroom taking photos blah blah saying how confident I should be, and I couldn't answer any of the questions. Clesrly I didn't apply the knowledge well enough. It felt like I would have had the same approach to the paper at the start of the year when I hadn't learnt any physics.

So I'm very demoralised ATM, was hoping for AAB/ABB but think I will get BCD or CCD or BCE. It's all dependent on boundaries and this that and the other. What do you guys do to stop worrying and over analysing everything? I want to enjoy my summer, I've been training at the gym everyday and have a YouTube channel as a hobby (don't slate me), to keep myself occupied, so I'm focused on something else. Is the key to it to just literally not worry at all and take it as you get it on results day? Surely if worst comes to worst I resit maybe FP1 / D1 next year and that's that. Also,AQA physics changed spec this year + doesn't count, so Atleast I have some awareness as to what the exam will be like.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Sorry for the long winded post/ dramatic post, just really anxious ATM.
- Dan
In terms of worrying about results, eventually you'll get over the exams. I spent a couple of days after my last one thinking about and stressing over the mistakes I made and what I "should've" done differently, but try to realise that it is completely pointless and a waste of time. The only thing you can do is to learn from your mistakes/experience this year and make sure that next year will be different.
Its good that you've got other things to focus on and if possible keep your expectations as low as possible so that your fully prepared for anything on results day, something I didn't do for GCSE. Good luck and enjoy your summer:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
In terms of worrying about results, eventually you'll get over the exams. I spent a couple of days after my last one thinking about and stressing over the mistakes I made and what I "should've" done differently, but try to realise that it is completely pointless and a waste of time. The only thing you can do is to learn from your mistakes/experience this year and make sure that next year will be different.
Its good that you've got other things to focus on and if possible keep your expectations as low as possible so that your fully prepared for anything on results day, something I didn't do for GCSE. Good luck and enjoy your summer:smile:
Thank you so so much!! I always give myself lower marks just in case. Guess at the end of the day, you will only learn from it and worrying cant change the marks. Hope you enjoy your summer :biggrin:
I would try your best to forget about it for now, otherwise you will be in a cycle of acceptance and then anxiety. I know exactly how you feel and who knows, you may surprise yourself!

As you've shown, the knowledge was there. So be proud about that! That is why I personally dislike exams because it all comes down to the day and there is so many variables that can effect your performance :unimpressed:

Something that I try to tell my mind is something simple - it's done. I tried my best, things didn't work out and of course I would be naturally disappointed if it didn't - who wouldn't? But you have to learn from it. What could you have done better next time round? Don't let it deter you, be determined to come back next time and smash the exam!

Anyway, I hope that's helped!
Reply 4
Original post by PugDevil
I would try your best to forget about it for now, otherwise you will be in a cycle of acceptance and then anxiety. I know exactly how you feel and who knows, you may surprise yourself!

As you've shown, the knowledge was there. So be proud about that! That is why I personally dislike exams because it all comes down to the day and there is so many variables that can effect your performance :unimpressed:

Something that I try to tell my mind is something simple - it's done. I tried my best, things didn't work out and of course I would be naturally disappointed if it didn't - who wouldn't? But you have to learn from it. What could you have done better next time round? Don't let it deter you, be determined to come back next time and smash the exam!

Anyway, I hope that's helped!

Awesome advice, thank you so much!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest