Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How to learn German language?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm thinking of applying German Universities next year and to do this I need to pass the German language test called 'Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer '. But have no ideas of how to start learning the language. Could you give some advise please. Thank you

Well, you could go here... there's a series of "pod" websites that can be used for learning various languages. They're pretty good, actually.

They do give you a free trial, and they often give you a good deal on the first month.

I use an App to learn Russian which is called Duolingo. Its really easy and works on 5 min lessons every day (you can set your own target for times) If you want to go to a German Uni though, you might want to look at actual lessons for a little. Just because if you are learning new things in a different language its going to be really difficult unless you are reasonably proficient. My friend is Chinese and her English is amazing, but when she came over for GCSE she really struggled learning things in science because of the odd words in it.

For vocab:

Listen to German music
    Watch German FIlm/Tv
    Read German [children's] books
    Use lang-8.com to practice writing German
    Read/listen to german news
    Make a blog or keep a journal where you write in German
    Start using German in your everyday life e.g. count in German
    lyricstraining.com for listening translation practice
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.