The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

What to take?

Moving into NTU accommodation in September and want some advice on what to take with me for my room and stuff as I have not had much information about this!
Thank you
Reply 1
I've lived in Gill Street North all year and the things I brought with me were;

Kitchen:

1 x Saucepan

1 x Frying pan

1 or 2 x Good knives

1 x Sieve or strainer (For all the pasta and rice you'll be eating. I'm not joking)

A few cooking utensils

Knives and forks

Glasses/mugs (you only need like 2 of each. Any more will just cause clutter)

1 x bottle opener (Very important, for obvious reasons :wink: )

You will have 1 or 2 kitchen cupboards to put your stuff in and usually 1 shelf in the fridge and 1 in the freezer but as long as you know who's stuff is who's then we just put food anywhere if there wasn't space on our shelf.

Bedroom:

Bedsheets/pillowcase

Duvet/Pillows

1 x Clothes rack (to dry clothes instead of paying for the dryer and for clothes that can't go in the dryer)

1 x Desk lamp (the one provided is a tube lamp above the desk and it's horrible)

Pins to stick things on the noticeboard

Clothes hangers

The room comes with a bin

Anything else that you want to bring to make the room feel like home

Bathroom:
The bathroom just has a sink, mirror, toilet, toilet brush, and shower. I brought my own bathroom bin.
Don't forget your toiletries etc! Washing tablets (eg. Ariel or any other gel ones are the ones you can use in the machines).
I also brought toilet cleaner.

NTU: "Whichever NTU residence you live in, you’ll have a shared kitchen-dining area equipped with a cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, and storage facilities. Unless of course you’ve booked a studio, in which case you’ll have your own kitchenette."

If theres anything I've forgot, I'll edit the post.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Ronhaar
I've lived in Gill Street North all year and the things I brought with me were;

Kitchen:

1 x Saucepan

1 x Frying pan

1 or 2 x Good knives

1 x Sieve or strainer (For all the pasta and rice you'll be eating. I'm not joking)

A few cooking utensils

Knives and forks

Glasses/mugs (you only need like 2 of each. Any more will just cause clutter)

1 x bottle opener (Very important, for obvious reasons :wink: )

You will have 1 or 2 kitchen cupboards to put your stuff in and usually 1 shelf in the fridge and 1 in the freezer but as long as you know who's stuff is who's then we just put food anywhere if there wasn't space on our shelf.

Bedroom:

Bedsheets/pillowcase

Duvet/Pillows

1 x Clothes rack (to dry clothes instead of paying for the dryer and for clothes that can't go in the dryer)

1 x Desk lamp (the one provided is a tube lamp above the desk and it's horrible)

Pins to stick things on the noticeboard

Clothes hangers

The room comes with a bin

Anything else that you want to bring to make the room feel like home

Bathroom:
The bathroom just has a sink, mirror, toilet, toilet brush, and shower. I brought my own bathroom bin.
Don't forget your toiletries etc! Washing tablets (eg. Ariel or any other gel ones are the ones you can use in the machines).
I also brought toilet cleaner.

NTU: "Whichever NTU residence you live in, you’ll have a shared kitchen-dining area equipped with a cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, and storage facilities. Unless of course you’ve booked a studio, in which case you’ll have your own kitchenette."

If theres anything I've forgot, I'll edit the post.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you so much this is really helpful!!
Blu tack

Food (such as tins and packets) for the first few days. You don't want to get there and have to go food shopping. Urgh!

Tin opener
Reply 4
Can you hang photos and things in the walls? Just want to know because I'm trying to get everything up together!!
Original post by emm_0410
Can you hang photos and things in the walls? Just want to know because I'm trying to get everything up together!!

Hi emm_0410,

Unfortunately you can't I'm afraid. In NTU's halls of residences you most likely would be charged for it. You can hang photo's/posters onto your notice board however!

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 6
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi emm_0410,

Unfortunately you can't I'm afraid. In NTU's halls of residences you most likely would be charged for it. You can hang photo's/posters onto your notice board however!

Thanks,

Ellen

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending