Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do I have to legally go to the uni that I have a 'unconditional: firmed' place with?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    So, I am starting to get really confused and worried. Today I received an (unconditional offer) on a firmed uni choice. Does this mean I have to go there?

    See the thing is, the unconditional offer was originally a conditional offer, so I didn't expect this. I actually just firmed University of Cumbria and insured Queens University as backups. However, I have also accepted my HND offer at Belfast Met, and now I am afraid that I am gonna have to go to Cumbria nmw.

    For a while I wasn't really sure where I wanted to go. But with finance etc, the HND suited me more. Another problem is, I have already sorted my Student Finance for the HND, and haven't even looked at accomadtion in Cumrbia.

    Realistically, they can't legal force me to attend Cumbria? I mean, people change their mind? Is it best I contact UCAS and the university to sort something out? The worst that could maybe happen is start a bad reputation with the uni?

    Thanks a million for your help.

    No, you don't have to go. You can withdraw from UCAS altogether, which (if I've correctly understood your situation) may be easiest. Go to Track, then 'Application details', and from there click on 'Completely withdraw my application'. You'll lose the application fee, of course, but it cancels your contract with your firm and insurance choices. NB This can't be undone.

    I presume that the HND offer is running separately to UCAS; if not, the process is trickier and less certain, as you obviously can't just flat-out withdraw.

    It's not required from your side. When they give an unconditional the uni is legally obligated to give you a place but you yourself do not sign a contract until you actually sign up to your university during fresher's week. Until then you can change your mind as much as you want.

    It's not legally binding, but It is best to be mature, responsible and professional about the situation. Contact the university, thank them for their time in considering your application and of the offer, and respectfully make clear of your intentions to withdraw, having found a more suitable role elsewhere.
    • Thread Starter

    You are all life savers, thank you very much!! I will contact the university now. Yes, SosbanFach, the HND is a separate application. It is through BMC itself, rather than UCAS! I am hoping to do a top up degree at a uni after I complete my two years on the HND, so I am going to ask about this in my email.

    Again, thank you for your replies, I was literally freaking out haha
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.