Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

a few questions about a masters...

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter



    If i complete a PHD online, will it still come with the same relevance as one which i have done in a university?

    will i even have to inform employers i did it online?

    next, if i travelled abroad to complete my PHD would it still be effective in the UK?

    finally, do any of the above affect the title of doctor?

    thanks in advance

    For the aboard question, it depends on the degree. For example, I am in the field of psychology and I have to go to a BPS accredited university. To the best my knowledge this accreditation obviously covers the UK. So I would check whether the career you want needs accreditation at some point and also, if this extends to other countries. You can also do a non accredited course then do a conversion course to become on the accreditation path.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    It really depends on the subject and uni but most good places will not let you do a PhD completely online. You will have to attend training and engage with the department. It's also generally a good idea to do so to get the most out of the PhD.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.