The Student Room Group

Colour Blindness, Asthma and the RAF Regiment

Hello,

Hello,

As previously posted I am applying for the RAF regiment as an officer. I have previously applied for the Royal Marines and when it came to my medical I had to do a few certain things to pass.

1. My colour blindness I failed the dot test (identifying numbers through multicoloured dots) so I had to matching the wire test (identifying what colour wires were) and this was sufficient for me to continue. What is the situation with the RAF?

2. Asthma I have been clear for four years. After reading the information the RAF have given me I understand it is ok to join ground staff if you have been clear for four years, which I have, are the RAF regiment classed as ground staff?

Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have just rang the RAF helpline 08456055555 and they said it would but to be honest the guy was an utter ******. I questioned him and said that the website says this;

If you are colour blind, you will not be able to join the RAF as a Firefighter, Weapon Technician, Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) or Aircraft Technician (Avionics). To join as a Pilot or an Engineer Officer, you'll do a colour perception test. It's only by doing this test that we can decide whether you'll qualify for the job.
Reply 2
Sean,
For the definitive answer conract the AFCO at Coventry on 02476 520641. The help desk is not manned by RAF recruiters and experience has shown that the info given by them sometimes lacks quality.
Reply 3
Hmm..., they said CP level 3, I was CP level 4 though this was fine for Royal Marines Officer?? How can this be, this is going to screw me aint it? Another dream down the pan.
Reply 4
SeanLunn
Hmm..., they said CP level 3, I was CP level 4 though this was fine for Royal Marines Officer?? How can this be, this is going to screw me aint it? Another dream down the pan.

Sean. Before you end the dream, how long since you were tested? It may be worth another check just to be certain.
Reply 5
checked for the marines last year...

right I have got this website

http://www.aop.org.uk/services/visual/visual_1010163352.html

this says level cp4
Reply 6
Could someone perhaps ring their local AFCO and see what they say to put my mind at rest please, sorry.
Reply 7
I have just been through 2 years of yes/no with the marines and I really do not want to wait till the ACOS Phase one till they tell me I cant do it in six months. I seem to be working so hard for no return :confused:
Reply 8
If you ring your local AFCO to get an answer, it will look better. If your not happy with their responce, or you just want another opinion, there is nothing to stop you ringing another AFCO?

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer

QM
Reply 9
Ah this could be ok! I have found this website and it says CP level 4 (what I am) and then rang the corporal and he said it should be ok. If I was applying for the Marines and was ok I cant see how for the reg it should be.
Reply 10
Quiet_Mason
If you ring your local AFCO to get an answer, it will look better. If your not happy with their responce, or you just want another opinion, there is nothing to stop you ringing another AFCO?

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer

QM

You can ring as many AFCOs as you want but the recruiting policy will not change. The advice that you got from Coventry will be accurate. They are well informed.
Reply 11
SeanLunn
I have just been through 2 years of yes/no with the marines and I really do not want to wait till the ACOS Phase one till they tell me I cant do it in six months. I seem to be working so hard for no return :confused:

I know a serving officer who took 6 attempts to join the RAF as a pilot. Each time he got a knock back he tried again. This is what RAF Officers are made of.

Google him

Squadron Leader Dheeraj Bhasin

He is quite a guy!
Reply 12
age dicates my path and to be honest I think I will have to pass this first time due to my age. The reg is easier to get in that the marines? yay or nay?
SeanLunn
a The reg is easier to get in that the marines? yay or nay?

Doesn't matter as it seems you are PMU for RM service. I suspect that if you did some research you might find that RM training is physically harder and more diverse, but that fewer RAF Regt Officers were recruited each year. I'm not sure about that though, as it's not my career choice!

And why are you applying for these jobs consecutively and not in parallel, particularly if age is an issue? If this is the sort of job that you want, are you not also looking at various Army jobs?
Reply 14
You can enter as Reg Gunner up until 29, or RAF Police Officer up until 36, if those options appeal?
Reply 15
Yea Tony I completly agree I wasen't for a minute suggesting he was going to get two different sets of information, just that it might put his mind at rest.
Reply 16
threeportdrift
Doesn't matter as it seems you are PMU for RM service. I suspect that if you did some research you might find that RM training is physically harder and more diverse, but that fewer RAF Regt Officers were recruited each year. I'm not sure about that though, as it's not my career choice!

And why are you applying for these jobs consecutively and not in parallel, particularly if age is an issue? If this is the sort of job that you want, are you not also looking at various Army jobs?

I was told that I could not run two applications at once from my afco!
SeanLunn
I was told that I could not run two applications at once from my afco!

Then you were told incorrect information, or misunderstood. It is perfectly acceptable to have more than one application running at once. It makes sense; if you are military material, then you are likely to be considering any of the three Services as potential careers.
I have just been refused entry into the RAF Regiment after failing the 'Lantern Test' due to being a CP4 .
Declared unfit i asked the RAF call centre if i could get the number for RAF Honington, and asked if it was actually a CP4 required to get in as Regiment they were insistent that it was a final decision made by the AFCO who refused me and no waiver could be made.

I am going to try to get in the Marines as a Commando based on the belief that they take on people with CP4.
Shall keep this updated as i have found no real answer on the internet on this type of problem and think it's important to let others know as there is alot of time involved in this

Also the Army do take on CP4s' as gunners/infantry as my cousin failed the lantern test (first wanting to be a driver) and he has been a gunner for 2 years now.
Hope this is of some help.
Find an optician who does the lantern test and get a full eyesight test done. Then speak to your AFCO, as you may find you get a better CP score through the lantern test.
You need to be clear os asthma for four years unless is it self diagnosed and you didn't take medication but just got on with it.
The RAF Regiment is a ground branch.
Suggest you start ringing yourself. The AFCO won't bite but it certainly looks like you are lazy if yo uare asking us to ring on your behalf. Come on, this is the military you are applying for so start 'applying' yourself

Quick Reply

Latest