The Student Room Group

BREXIT: If 16/17 year olds allowed to vote remain would have won by landslide.

Our futures have been robbed by elderly racists/nationalists

Scroll to see replies

The same elderly racist nationalists that have been paying taxes longer than you've been born? and fought in wars?

Also do you realize that only about 36% of the supposed informed youth actually turned up to voting day?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/eu-referendum-brexit-young-people-upset-by-the-outcome-of-the-eu-referendum-why-didnt-you-vote-a7105396.html

So stop with this garbage already that these people destroyed your future it's pathetic.
Our futures have been robbed by the a-hole that is David Cameron. Not the electorate.

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/936993456423548/?pnref=story
Reply 3
Original post by Playmaker#10
The same elderly racist nationalists that have been paying taxes longer than you've been born? and fought in wars?

Also do you realize that only about 36% of the supposed informed youth actually turned up to voting day?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/eu-referendum-brexit-young-people-upset-by-the-outcome-of-the-eu-referendum-why-didnt-you-vote-a7105396.html

So stop with this garbage already that these people destroyed your future it's pathetic.

From stats its the old in areas where they are not paying taxes and being 80 is too young to have fought in ww2.

2016 -80 = 1936. You would have been THREE when war broke out!!!!!!!!!

Brexit cant even ADD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by FredOrJohn
From stats its the old in areas where they are not paying taxes and being 80 is too young to have fought in ww2.

Is World war 2 the only war Britian was involved in over the last 70 years?

And what nonsense is this

"
From stats its the old in areas where they are not paying taxes "

So you're saying that people over the age of 60 in the UK all didn't pay taxes when they were in the working force decades ago?
This is actually untrue...
One of my friends on facebook made this post after the vote:

"1,545,382 16 to 17-year-olds living in the UK as according to mid-2013 data: our population is only getting older, so presumably there are fewer 16 to 17-year-olds now, but we'll still use this figure.
100% of this number can be part of the electorate.
we assume the number of 16 to 17 non-citizens studying inside the UK is roughly the same as the number of 16 to 17 citizens studying outside the UK. turnout might be 36%, so 556,337 people would vote.
turnout for 18-24-year-olds was 36% as according to Sky Data: this would potentially be even lower for 16-17-year-olds due to the trend of turnout increasing by age (and starkly vice versa).
72% of these votes might be to remain, meaning 400,563 more remain votes.

conclusion: remain might have lost with a little bit less of a gap (precisely 3.2% of a gap)"

It doesn't matter. Realistically, Brexit would have won either way.
Although I'm not happy about it either, you have to deal with it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Stop being ageist.
There are young racists/nationalists too, please.

What's world war two got to do with anything, John or fred? Stop being so ****ing salty.
Original post by ByEeek
Our futures have been robbed by the a-hole that is David Cameron. Not the electorate.

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/936993456423548/?pnref=story

That's true, but his exclusion of new, young voters was part of the rigging he performed on the exercise to push it towards a Leave vote. He may have sounded like a Remain guy, but he wasn't in any meaningful way.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's true, but his exclusion of new, young voters was part of the rigging he performed on the exercise to push it towards a Leave vote. He may have sounded like a Remain guy, but he wasn't in any meaningful way.

Jesus, I don't know if this is satire or not. What a cruel world.
Original post by ByEeek

Oh please, he made a bet which at the time pretty much every person who's job it is to know about that kind of stuff would also have made, even the leave camp. It was due to a bunch of things: the combination of Remain and Leave's lazy tactics, biased news sources, an electorate which was fed up with the establishment, etc.
Original post by 34908seikj
Jesus, I don't know if this is satire or not. What a cruel world.

Ha, it's not satire, I promise. Cameron has always been a Leaver. Just ask Boris.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/19/david-cameron-claims-boris-johnson-privately-said-he-would-never/
Original post by Fullofsurprises

No it wasn't. There was no conspiracy. 16-18 year-olds have never been allowed to vote. They simply maintained the status quo.
Original post by Helloworld_95
It was due to a bunch of things: the combination of Remain and Leave's lazy tactics, biased news sources, an electorate which was fed up with the establishment, etc.

Indeed. But if Cameron hadn't felt the need to appease his party, this sorry state would have never come about. At the time of the last election, Europe was way down the list of priorities after things like the NHS, education, policing, terrorist etc. It is only the continuous bun fight within the Tory party that has ripped our country apart.
Reply 14
Well I'm sure it makes for a nice sound bite but life is what you make it.

I built a business in the last recession and I'm still selling plenty of stock overseas. Don't listen to the scaremongering from either side. Just get on with life as normal. :smile:
I didn't vote as I'm 17 and I'm glad to not have had that opportunity since I could not make my mind up on which side I was on.

Im interested to know why you think 16-17 year olds should vote? I think 18 is still too young personally.

I'm not old.
I'm not racist.
I'm not a nationalist.

That's about the intellectual level of calling those who voted Remain traitors.
You do realise the turnout rate for 18-24 year olds was low in voting? There's no need for 16/17 year olds to vote. The problem is that eligible young people either couldn't be bothered to vote or were ill-informed about voting ( I think this is silly either way though).

You say that your future has been robbed. What have you objectively lost?

Quick Reply

Latest