Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

BREXIT: If 16/17 year olds allowed to vote remain would have won by landslide.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by tanyapotter)
    #SpellCheckARacist is a thing I would like to be implemented
    It already is https://www.facebook.com/spellcheckbigots/

(Original post by nulli tertius)
    Don't you see that if you concede that if the decision was one of spite or revenge or pique, you rob it of democratic legitimacy? Democracy relies on a tacit assumption that everyone is voting for the good of the country. Once you accept they aren't, democracy loses any moral force.
    I only conceded that some probably did vote for that reason, and they were not voting out of socioeconomic hostility; they were angry because of what they felt was their marginalisation and decreased standard of living in exchange for the achievement of the liberal elite's wet dream. You can argue that that is a misunderstanding of the facts but that misunderstanding continuing to the polling stations in such numbers is the fault of campaigning in the Remain side, principally because that situation is the result rather of their lead campaigner. I don't think that wanting to spite the elites was the starting point of any significant number of Brexiters.

How many Remainers voted less out of an informed opinion that it was 'for the good of the country' than out of the prejudice that a vote for Brexit was a vote for Farage and xenophobia which would make them less intelligent and sophisticated? Rather a lot of people, I bet. Did their votes have 'moral force' and 'democratic legitimacy'? You will have seen some of these people speaking in Q & As. Here is one such exchange. The Brexiter may be wrong in his conclusions but he has clearly tried to investigate this issue much more than his Remainer opponent.

There seems to me more value and legitimacy in an angry vote based on a misunderstanding of the facts than a neutral vote based on an insecure self-image and an ambition to be on the nice side without considering the facts at all

However, you can't start saying that one vote is less legitimate than another based on x because once you start down that road there is no end and before you know it we are measuring people's heads. Ultimately I am confident that the vast majority of people voted in good faith in this referendum for what they thought was the right course of action

But generally democracy does not rely on the tacit assumption that everyone is voting for the good of the country. Democracy relies on the assumption that everyone votes for what is in their best interests and by sheer force of numbers the eventual result will be in the best interests of the country as well.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.