The Student Room Group

gap year pgce finance

Hello,
Im hoping to start my pgce next spetember (2017) and so will be taking this year as a gap year and i will therefore be earning a salary. My question concerns the eligiability criteria for the teaching bursaries. I have a first in history and i am hoping to apply to study teaching history for my pgce. Given that i have achieved a first i believe i am eligable for a bursary of £9000. I just wondered though if that bursary is dependent on your financial circumstances as well as your degree classification? I.e if both mine and my parent's income fell below the £25000 would i only then be eligable for the bursary of £9000?
Also i am due to recieve a very generous gift of about £50000 which i intend to put in bonds and i just wondered how this will affect my student finance?

Thank you!
Hi tarr

We don't have any details for the 2017 year yet. the current information is as follows:

Students do not need to apply for this bursary, if they are enrolled on a non salaried Postgraduate course & meet the eligibility criteria, they will begin to receive payments automatically by their chosen Teacher Training Provider. They will receive information on the arrangements & how this will be paid to them prior to the start of their course.

Bursary of up to £12,000

They will receive the bursary in 10 equal monthly instalments from October to July

They are advised to confirm the actual payment schedule with their ITT Provider

Bursary of £15,000 or over

They will receive 10 equal monthly instalments from October to July, but with additional payments in February and July, or in the final month of your course

They will need to be on the course on 1 January to receive the first additional payment in February, and will need to complete the course to receive the second additional payment at the end of your course

They are advised to confirm the actual payment schedule with their ITT Provider

Should they require any further information they can contact The Teaching Agency on 0800 389 2500.Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending