The Student Room Group

H Samuel job interview

Hi, I have a job interview at H Samuel this weekend for a weekend vacancy they have and I'm really nervous. This will be my first ever job interview and I really want the job but I'm worried because I don't know a whole lot about the company, as I just applied for a part time job to earn some money for uni :/ I have been doing research on their business but I'm still worried about not being able to answer some questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by zombie-dance
Hi, I have a job interview at H Samuel this weekend for a weekend vacancy they have and I'm really nervous. This will be my first ever job interview and I really want the job but I'm worried because I don't know a whole lot about the company, as I just applied for a part time job to earn some money for uni :/ I have been doing research on their business but I'm still worried about not being able to answer some questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on getting to the interview stage. I work in a store called Ernest Jones which is part of the same company as H Samuel (it's a company called Signet - they have stores in America too such as Kay Jewellers etc).

Signet employ people based on their personality. You don't need to be able to tell them all about diamonds and watches but instead show that you can hold a good conversation and communicate well. There's something in your application that they like so just be yourself!

I'd imagine you'd have a very similar interview to me, and tbh I won't lie as your first interview it is quite difficult but don't worry! The first part is asking questions like tell me about a situation when you had to.... Then you do role play which isn't actually that bad lol. In my role play I was given a sheet with pics of gold bracelets and watches and you basically had to find the right one for the given scenario that the manager acts out.

Wear a suit because that's what you'll be working in, or at least something very smart. As I say just be yourself!!! Smile, chat and you'll be fine.

It's a brilliant company to work for. I'm 17 and I earn £6.50 an hour and you get 30% off H Samuel and Ernest Jones stores after working there for 6 months. The training is really good too.

Good luck with your interview, let me know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9
Congratulations on getting to the interview stage. I work in a store called Ernest Jones which is part of the same company as H Samuel (it's a company called Signet - they have stores in America too such as Kay Jewellers etc).

Signet employ people based on their personality. You don't need to be able to tell them all about diamonds and watches but instead show that you can hold a good conversation and communicate well. There's something in your application that they like so just be yourself!

I'd imagine you'd have a very similar interview to me, and tbh I won't lie as your first interview it is quite difficult but don't worry! The first part is asking questions like tell me about a situation when you had to.... Then you do role play which isn't actually that bad lol. In my role play I was given a sheet with pics of gold bracelets and watches and you basically had to find the right one for the given scenario that the manager acts out.

Wear a suit because that's what you'll be working in, or at least something very smart. As I say just be yourself!!! Smile, chat and you'll be fine.

It's a brilliant company to work for. I'm 17 and I earn £6.50 an hour and you get 30% off H Samuel and Ernest Jones stores after working there for 6 months. The training is really good too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thank you so much! This has eased my nerves a little and yeah, I'm 17 too, that's really good pay haha! Thanks again, and yeah, I'll let you know how it goes c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, sorry, I have another question if that's okay xD So in the email they sent me confirming my interview, they advised me to read up about the business to get to know it better (which I've done) and was wondering how much do they ask you about the company and what sort of things they ask about it? Thank you c:
Reply 4
Hey, sorry, I have another question if that's okay xD So in the email they sent me confirming my interview, they advised me to read up about the business to get to know it better (which I've done) and was wondering how much do they ask you about the company and what sort of things they ask about it? Thank you c:

My manager actually called me to invite me for the interview and didn't mention this, and even in the interview I don't recall being asked stuff about the company directly. Below I'll write some key points you should remember and you'll be fine
- H Samuel has been a jeweller for over 150 years so customers buy from there with confidence
- H Samuel sells a wide variety of product such as diamonds, watches, Swarovski pieces and wedding rings.
- H Samuel is part of Signet which is the worlds largest speciality jeweller
- Some of the brands are exclusive to H Samuel such as Le Vian Petite
PLEASE don't worry if you can't remember all of this, I highly doubt they'll even ask you much about this but if you can remember some things then defo throw them in! I've also had an idea for the role play part of the interview - because the manager will give you a scenario about having a budget etc mention their interest free credit option! This will REALLY impress them! (If you don't know what it is like I didn't, it's basically where you pay a min of 10% then pay the rest over a set amount of months per month).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9
My manager actually called me to invite me for the interview and didn't mention this, and even in the interview I don't recall being asked stuff about the company directly. Below I'll write some key points you should remember and you'll be fine
- H Samuel has been a jeweller for over 150 years so customers buy from there with confidence
- H Samuel sells a wide variety of product such as diamonds, watches, Swarovski pieces and wedding rings.
PLEASE don't worry if you can't remember all of this, I highly doubt they'll even ask you much about this but if you can remember some things then defo throw them in! I've also had an idea for the role play part of the interview - because the manager will give you a scenario about having a budget etc mention their interest free credit option! This will REALLY impress them! (If you don't know what it is like I didn't, it's basically where you pay a min of 10% then pay the rest over a set amount of months per month).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your tips are really helpful, thank you so much!!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Your tips are really helpful, thank you so much!!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! Be sure to let me know how it goes! 😊 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do!☺️ x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so I just had the interview and I'm not sure how I feel haha. It was completely different to what I expected; there was no role-playing exercise and the whole interview was basically the manager asking me to describe a time when I had to display a certain skill or whatever, which was kind of difficult as I've never had a job, so ended up relating all my answers back to school :/ there were some that I couldn't answer and I'm worried as to how that will effect the overall outcome. The manager seemed to like me as a person though so idk😂 don't have the highest hopes though ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Okay, so I just had the interview and I'm not sure how I feel haha. It was completely different to what I expected; there was no role-playing exercise and the whole interview was basically the manager asking me to describe a time when I had to display a certain skill or whatever, which was kind of difficult as I've never had a job, so ended up relating all my answers back to school :/ there were some that I couldn't answer and I'm worried as to how that will effect the overall outcome. The manager seemed to like me as a person though so idk😂 don't have the highest hopes though ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg that is so odd! I'm so surprised they didn't do the role play! That's really good that they seemed to like you. They literally recruit on personality so dw about not having a job before.. Good luck and let me know if you get it! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9
Omg that is so odd! I'm so surprised they didn't do the role play! That's really good that they seemed to like you. They literally recruit on personality so dw about not having a job before.. Good luck and let me know if you get it! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get the job haha, I didn't think I would tbh cause the interview wasn't great😁 will just have to keep looking lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I didn't get the job haha, I didn't think I would tbh cause the interview wasn't great😁 will just have to keep looking lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww no that's annoying! I'm leaving my workplace soon anyway because it's rubbish so if the branch you applied to is anything like mine then see it as a good thing! Good luck with the job search though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw that sucks haha and thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can anyone help me on the assesment part for the application ? No matter what I put I'm always unsuccessful ? I've worked in retail for years now and in some of the biggest stores John Lewis Debenhams and currently next but can not for the life of me get past the assesment for signet ? Help 😂
Original post by rhia9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, i have an interview soon so can you pls describe how you succeeded in the role playing part of the interview. I have no clue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending