The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Vander's Human Physiology is a great book. Colourful, lots of diagrams and easy to understand. It went into more than enough detail for my 1st yr med course. It's a wee bit heavy and rather expensive (about 40 quids, me thinks), but I found it a worthwhile investment. I'd recommend borrowing it from a library and checking it out yourself.
The other recommended book was Ganong's Medical physiology. It goes into a lot more detail, if that's what you want..

I can't really help you with the biochemistry. Our recommended book (Lippincott's Biochemistry)...well, it was good, but it was tricky to understand, went into a lot of detail and assumed you know your stuff quite well.
Why don't you try out the Crash course books? Heard good stuff about them..

Hope that helps
Reply 2
Thanks for the help
Just had a look on amazon and bought this book quite cheap from the used and new section. Seems quite interesting and the contents page has everything I find of interest so hopefully it will be good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Review-Medical-Physiology-Lange-Science/dp/0071440402/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/026-7348081-3962829?ie=UTF8&qid=1183557248&sr=8-1
Reply 3
Yeah, Ganong is good. But, like I said, it assumes you have a reasonable knowledge of the topics. It doesn't go into a lot of detail for beginners as Vander does.
Good choice nonetheless
Reply 4
oops, didn't realise that it was the one you recommended, even better
May buy the vanders one later, not in any rush at the moment though, just want to read a bit for interest and to defeat summer holiday bordem.
Can't believe how expensive some of the books actually are
For human physiology Guyton and Hall is good but again it is expensive (around £50 in shops for latest edition).

Voet Voet and Pratt is a good biochemistry book althuogh it goes into a LOT of detail, you can get the general idea!
Reply 6
The best option would be to email the course coordinator at your uni and ask what the core textbook is for the first year. Then your extra reading is likely to be more relevant to what you will be studying.
Reply 7
For Biochemistry I'd go for Berg- it's a gorgeous book but not exactly for bedtime reading!

Latest

Trending

Trending