The Student Room Group

Job reference advice

So I've just secured my first job and on the contract of employment, it says 'subject to satisfactory references'.

My question is, how do I supply these references? They haven't directly asked for details of any references or specified how many references they want
Original post by WalkOnWater79
So I've just secured my first job and on the contract of employment, it says 'subject to satisfactory references'.

My question is, how do I supply these references? They haven't directly asked for details of any references or specified how many references they want

All employment contracts say that, if you hadnt been asked for them by the time you signed the contract, they wont ask for them now, dont worry :smile:
They normally ask for you to give the details of people to contact for a reference.

References are normally sought from non related independendent people of good standing. They would normally consist of one work and one personal character reference.

You can always ask them whether they need the details and then you should identify who your referees might be.
Its normal to get the consent of the referee before giving the details out.
If the employer hasn't asked then they cant check. Many employers dont check.
Original post by 999tigger
They normally ask for you to give the details of people to contact for a reference.

References are normally sought from non related independendent people of good standing. They would normally consist of one work and one personal character reference.

You can always ask them whether they need the details and then you should identify who your referees might be.
Its normal to get the consent of the referee before giving the details out.
If the employer hasn't asked then they cant check. Many employers dont check.

Do you suggest that it's better that I contact the company and ask if they want the references or wait for them to directly ask me? I'm a little wary about providing references as I lack work experience, I think I can easily find one referee but a second might be a little more challenging
Original post by lolakirk
All employment contracts say that, if you hadnt been asked for them by the time you signed the contract, they wont ask for them now, dont worry :smile:

Thank you :smile: I understand that it's a common addition for employment contracts but it's actually been mentioned on all written communication between the company and I. Do you know whether a signed contract can be terminated if I failed to give references?
Do you suggest that it's better that I contact the company and ask if they want the references or wait for them to directly ask me? I'm a little wary about providing references as I lack work experience, I think I can easily find one referee but a second might be a little more challenging

If you havent done any work experience , then they normally accept two character ones. One from school would do and maybe one from a family friend who is a professional.

I'd just leave it for now, they may not bother. If you have one in mind then just ask them if asked they would be ok in providing one.
You are worrying too much.

What stage is the job is it just after school, p/t, graduate etc?
(edited 7 years ago)

They should ask you. You need to ask your referees if they will provide a reference for you, and if they say yes, then give their contact details to the employer, for the employer to contact the referees directly.

It's helpful for everyone if you can tell the referees a little about the job eg I've been offered a job as a shop assistant and the company seemed very keen to know about how well I got on with customers. This enables you to steer the referee to mention strengths you want to show off, and gives them something to work on, if the request from the employer isn't very specific. Some employers ask very specific questions of referees, others are very general.
If you havent done any work experience , then they normally accept two character ones. One from school would do and maybe one from a family friend who is a professional.

I'd just leave it for now, they may not bother. If you have one in mind then just ask them if asked they would be ok in providing one.

What stage is the job is it just after school, p/t, graduate etc?

Thank you, I certainly am a worrier, it's something I need to work on :biggrin:

Just out of interest, do you know if it's more common for employers to accept a written reference or do they tend to prefer to call them?

It's my first job after graduating, it's within the IT industry
Original post by threeportdrift
They should ask you. You need to ask your referees if they will provide a reference for you, and if they say yes, then give their contact details to the employer, for the employer to contact the referees directly.

It's helpful for everyone if you can tell the referees a little about the job eg I've been offered a job as a shop assistant and the company seemed very keen to know about how well I got on with customers. This enables you to steer the referee to mention strengths you want to show off, and gives them something to work on, if the request from the employer isn't very specific. Some employers ask very specific questions of referees, others are very general.

Okay that's useful advice, thank you very much :smile:

Just out of interest, do you know if it's more common for employers to accept a written reference or do they tend to prefer to call them?

I

Entirely up to the person in charge of HR.
Thank you, I certainly am a worrier, it's something I need to work on :biggrin:

It's my first job after graduating, it's within the IT industry

All you have to do is ask a referee if they will provide one and if asked, then give the employer the contact details. Its up to them whether they check, whether its a phone call or request a written one.
All you have to do is ask a referee if they will provide one and if asked, then give the employer the contact details. Its up to them whether they check, whether its a phone call or request a written one.

Haha okay thank you very much for your time, it's really helped :smile:
Haha okay thank you very much for your time, it's really helped :smile:

Just to put your mind at rest, if they have already offered you the job and in the event they botered to take a reference up they would only be interested in you being the person who you say you are and of reasonable non axe murdering character. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. You should already know what your referee will say and that its positive, otherwise you wouldnt offer them as one.
Just to put your mind at rest, if they have already offered you the job and in the event they botered to take a reference up they would only be interested in you being the person who you say you are and of reasonable non axe murdering character. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. You should already know what your referee will say and that its positive, otherwise you wouldnt offer them as one.

Haha okay, got it! Just to be clear, if they do request references, they would typically ask for two? Just so I know what to prepare for
Haha okay, got it! Just to be clear, if they do request references, they would typically ask for two? Just so I know what to prepare for

Ive already told you its normal for one character and one work/ academic reference.If you need informatuion, then just ask HR that is what they are there for.
(edited 7 years ago)

You say its your first job, Im guessing youre working in some studenty job, not an actual career? They wont ask you for references after you have already signed an employment contract. They would ask the phone number of a referee on your application form and jobs in supermarkets / restaurants and so on mostly dont even bother calling up the referee on your application form, seeing as you have already signed an employment contract and nothing has been said about references, they will absolutely not ask you now.
Ive had jobs and all of them, the employment contract states the same thing, subject to references blah blah but they never actually asked for references.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest