Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Permanent offers but heading back to uni

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Permanent prospects at home but heading back to uni*

I have only had around 8 months work experience since I started sixth form back in 2013. Each summer has passed and i've put about 60% effort into finding a job, but at the same I don't think my CV has looked remotely attractive. About to go into my third year, and my CV looks full and my cover letters are written a lot better, job opportunities in my home town seem a lot easier to find.

Eon, in my home town, range me earlier to arrange a telephone interview. Its only the first interview, i'm jumping the gun I know. Its just that i've had next to no job interviews before so this is massive for me. Its permanent position, they want me to work 8 till 8 on 4 weekdays and 8 until 6 on Saturdays. It pays 17k a year. It will take me about 45 minutes to get there and maybe longer on the way home so its a lot of effort but worth merely to keep myself busy and get out my overdraft.

Barclays in my hometown accepted my CV/Cover letter and have sent me some tests to complete for a community banker customer service role. I desperately want an interview for this position. I'm studying economics so this would be more desirable option because it'll be in my favour reapplying to barclays once i've graduated. The hours are 11am to 3pm so I could easily get the train to london for uni around this time and stay in this role. Its just not an opportunity I genuinely count on yet so it shouldn't disrupt my decisions.

My heart and mind are torn. I've been applying for research internships in London and abroad in large quantities just for the experience, they barely pay enough to survive the costs but I desperately need something this summer and these are the ultimate CV fillers.

I really don't have the luxury to be picking and choosing. I should put everything on eon and push all other potential opportunities aside.
    The problem is that they want a permanent employee who will work 40 hours a week and I have to leave as soon as uni starts. If I tell them this then they won't hire me and if I don't tell them i'm doing the dirty on them given the costs involved in training and hiring. I shouldn't feel guilty but I can imagine handing a letter to my manager after barely 2 months and just feeling awful. Staying for two months really takes the pee.

Has anyone encountered a scenario like this? I'm sure I am not alone.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.