The Student Room Group

Racism in UK particularly London

Scroll to see replies

Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade?

- How is treating Indian immigrants with respect a way of English generations paying for their ancestors' past?

Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis?

- How is this anywhere near giving Indian immigrants special treatment? How are you making this comparison? If your logic weren't flawed, you'd be comparing giving Indians special treatment because of colonisation to giving Jewish people special treatment because of the Holocaust. Instead, you're likening giving Indians special treatment to actually persecuting and killing Germans. Wtf?

The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development.

- Well no ****, he didn't mean that literally.

As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.

- This is true.

@jake4198
Original post by tanyapotter
Yeah, we should accept immigrants of India because of the UK's colonial presence. You likened this to putting Germans in concentration camps because of Germany's history with Nazism. You very clearly said that. Don't try to retract this. What is flawed in his logic? It's your logic that is flawed, because you are comparing two wholly incomparable things.

And idgaf if you think I'm hysterical? You think you're level-headed and just. You're not. You just come across as someone pretending to be liberal and progressive, but who resents any of those sorts of ideologies deep down.

"idgaf if you think I'm hysterical?" - hilarious.

This is precisely where the problem is. You think the United Kingdom should open its doors to over one billion Indians, with many of whom living in dire poverty, because the UK had a colonial presence in the region? Do I need to tell you how ludicrous a proposal that is? Not only is it economically nonviable, but the pressures that would put on infrastructure, public services, housing and local communities would be overwhelming for the most obvious of reasons.

I said the logic behind allowing all Indians coming to the UK because of Britons invaded India in the 19th century is comparable to saying that Jews should put all Germans in concentration camps because the Germans did the same with them in the 1940s. Explain to me where my logic is flawed? I was saying that the actions of our ancestry should not dictate the present.

And finally, one again, not once did I ever say I'm a liberal. Not once. I said I want to tackle racism and discrimination - of course I do, but that doesn't make me a "progressive". I'm sorry if my being "level-headed" offends you, maybe next time I'll be an emotional wreck so you don't mistake me for a "sick, disgusting individual".
Original post by jake4198

This is precisely where the problem is. You think the United Kingdom should open its doors to over one billion Indians, with many of whom living in dire poverty, because the UK had a colonial presence in the region? Do I need to tell you how ludicrous a proposal that is? Not only is it economically nonviable, but the pressures that would put on infrastructure, public services, housing and local communities would be overwhelming for the most obvious of reasons.

I said the logic behind allowing all Indians coming to the UK because of Britons invaded India in the 19th century is comparable to saying that Jews should put all Germans in concentration camps because the Germans did the same with them in the 1940s. Explain to me where my logic is flawed? I was saying that the actions of our ancestry should not dictate the present.

And finally, one again, not once did I ever say I'm a liberal. Not once. I said I want to tackle racism and discrimination - of course I do, but that doesn't make me a "progressive". I'm sorry if my being "level-headed" offends you, maybe next time I'll be an emotional wreck so you don't mistake me for a "sick, disgusting individual".

Except Indians have never and will never invade Britain like the British invaded India? There's a massive difference between immigration and colonisation..? Billions of English people did not immigrate to India in the 1900s. And billions of Indian people will never immigrate to the UK. Stop exaggerating and lying.

Besides, the original post about immigrants being treated like royalty is nothing to do with allowing more immigrants in. It's about giving special treatment to existing immigrants.

And FYI, I don't think it's economically viable for us to let billions of Indians in just because Britain invaded India before. I've never once said this - you've just assumed. What I'm saying is that your comparisons are weak at best, and shocking. Stop being so condescending and insufferable.
Except Indians have never and will never invade Britain like the British invaded India? There's a massive difference between immigration and colonisation..? Billions of English people did not immigrate to India in the 1900s. And billions of Indian people will never immigrate to the UK. Stop exaggerating and lying.

Besides, the original post about immigrants being treated like royalty is nothing to do with allowing more immigrants in. It's about giving special treatment to existing immigrants.

And FYI, I don't think it's economically viable for us to let billions of Indians in just because Britain invaded India before. I've never once said this - you've just assumed. What I'm saying is that your comparisons are weak at best, and shocking. Stop being so condescending and insufferable.

Once again, where did I say that billions of English people invaded India in the 1900s? You said "we should accept immigrants of India because of the UK's colonial presence" - I assumed you meant we should therefore accept all Indians. In response to that anyhow, the UK should not give special treatment to Indians over any other person of any other nationality simply because of the UK's presence in the country. The UK's immigration system should favour people who offer value to the British economy - and not discriminate based on race, nationality or ethnicity.

I don't know what you're talking about when you're saying "the original post about immigrants being treated like royalty is nothing to do with allowing more immigrants in". The original post was about racism in London - not once did I imply that immigrants are treat with loyalty, and nor should they be, either - they should be treat the same way any person's treated.

To say my comparisons were weak, and more so shocking, is your opinion. The logic of my comparisons weren't flawed and it didn't warrant a barrage of insults from yourself. I don't make my arguments personal, and if we take aside the politics, I think India is one of the most vibrant and cultural places in the world.

If you want to call me insufferable and condescending - go ahead. However, stop getting so emotionally disturbed by something that was not meant to be an attack on Indians, Indian culture or people of colour. My original post was simply questioning the logic of one of the earlier post's by another member, and most certainly didn't insinuate anything of the sort you implied earlier. It's sad that we can't even have a rational conversation without making everything personal.
(edited 7 years ago)

You are trying to justify your logic by saying that you think it's ludicrous to say "Britain did this to India, so India should do this to Brtain" just like "Germany did this to the Jewish people, so Jewish people should do this to Germany". Except billions of Britons never immigrated to India, and it was never implied that billions of Indians should be allowed to immigrate to the UK. So Indians immigrating to Britain is not them "getting back" at the British for colonising India, since colonisation =/= immigration.

I literally don't even disagree with you about mass, uncontrolled immigration. But your post VERY CLEARLY implied that Indians immigrating to Britain is a way of British people paying for the crimes of their ancestors. An unacceptable, disrespectful notion, to which you added more disrespect by condescending to liberalism and progressiveness even further with every post you quote to me.
You are trying to justify your logic by saying that you think it's ludicrous to say "Britain did this to India, so India should do this to Brtain" just like "Germany did this to the Jewish people, so Jewish people should do this to Germany". Except billions of Britons never immigrated to India, and it was never implied that billions of Indians should be allowed to immigrate to the UK. So Indians immigrating to Britain is not them "getting back" at the British for colonising India, since colonisation =/= immigration.

I literally don't even disagree with you about mass, uncontrolled immigration. But your post VERY CLEARLY implied that Indians immigrating to Britain is a way of British people paying for the crimes of their ancestors. An unacceptable, disrespectful notion, to which you added more disrespect by condescending to liberalism and progressiveness even further with every post you quote to me.

Please tell me where I'm pandering to liberalism or progressvism? If you read my last post that should hopefully annul your first point about "billions of Indians".

The second point you make about "immigration =/= colonisation" - can you show me where I disagree with that? That is exactly the point I was making in my original reply to the poster. The original post implied it's karma that Indians are immigrating to the UK because of Britain's afore colonial presence in region; I was arguing that the logic of such doesn't make sense, and like you said, colonialisation is not comparable to immigration.
I was reading a book and it mentioned a study where the researchers found out that people will always try and find a reason to dislike the "other guys". They will even use the language or eating habits of the other group as a reason to dislike them or feel that they are a threat. Based on my time travelling to a few places in Europe and North America and talking to a few relatives who travel, London is a pretty chill location. I've been to places in Italy(Sicily) and I couldn't go a day without some ignorant old or middle aged guy looking at me with anger in his eyes just because I am black and he has his preconceived notions despite the fact he doesn't realise I come from a long line of successful black men and women. At one point I just paid and left my food at a cafe because I was too angry and I had never witnessed such ignorance.The same shop owner (who's water bill and house bill I just paid for with my money) was staring at me in anger through my whole time in his place of business. I felt like those black guys in those old American films who would walk into a cafe and are welcomed by daggers from multiple eyes.

Based on my little experiences and my observations, I think you'll be more than fine in most parts of London. People are more open minded than in many other places around the world when it comes to race. I studied in London for my undergrad and it was fantastic. There are racists everywhere but I feel like some more advanced locations, if racist, make it subtle. So, even if you come across racists in London, you probably won't realise till later on when you are a seasoned veteran lol. London is a place where you can gain respect based on your character. Many people have interracial relationships there even. Even many other parts of UK seem to be used to the idea of having foreigners around. Sure, there may be people who are not openly racist and there may be some who are but there will always(at least for now) be racism everywhere . I think when it becomes more dangerous is when people refuse to open their minds to the possibility that you may be judged on your character.

So I guess really, it just depends on the location and how intense the racial discrimination is.Also, it depends on age, family upbringing , and etc. I'm certain not everyone in Sicily is racist. I met some of the most incredible people I have ever met in my life and I met girls who just wanted to know me because I am black (although that may be racist in itself). Even if a location has a lot of racism, it doesn't necessarily mean you will have the worst time of your life as there may certainly be people who aren't ignorant or foolish. As I understand, there are even some(probably 0.5 %) African professors in India . My dad even used to go there for business trips so I doubt it's all doom and gloom.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ATW1
Indeed. Germany is a classic example of that. Desperately trying to make up for its past but destroying its future in the process, and punishing every future German for the actions of their ancestors. Thoroughly deserved IMHO!

Literally this.

Approved by a real German™, even though I'm not sure what you mean with the "thoroughly deserved"....
(edited 7 years ago)
Please tell me where I'm pandering to liberalism or progressvism? If you read my last post that should hopefully annul your first point about "billions of Indians".

The second point you make about "immigration =/= colonisation" - can you show me where I disagree with that? That is exactly the point I was making in my original reply to the poster. The original post implied it's karma that Indians are immigrating to the UK because of Britain's afore colonial presence in region; I was arguing that the logic of such doesn't make sense, and like you said, colonialisation is not comparable to immigration.

I didn't say "We should accept Indian immigrants because of the UK's colonial presence". I quoted that statement in order to show you how you can't compare that to persecuting Germans for Nazism.

This is what you said:

Except, allowing Indians to come into the UK because of colonisation is not comparable to Jewish people putting Germans into concentration camps, since the British did not immigrate in the masses to India in the way that Germans put Jewish people in concentration camps.
I've had some racist stuff said to me....but I am white and English so it can't be counted as racism because my ethnicity makes up the majority, a cracker and a white boy lmao. As well as being threatened because I was on the wrong estate once, though I think that's just because I weren't from it and they're very gang orientated in london
Original post by eagleagu
I was reading a book and it mentioned a study where the researchers found out that people will always try and find a reason to dislike the "other guys". They will even use the language or eating habits of the other group as a reason to dislike them or feel that they are a threat. Based on my time travelling to a few places in Europe and North America and talking to a few relatives who travel, London is a pretty chill location. I've been to places in Italy(Sicily) and I couldn't go a day without some ignorant old or middle aged guy looking at me with anger in his eyes just because I am black and he has his preconceived notions despite the fact he doesn't realise I come from a long line of successful black men and women. At one point I just paid and left my food at a cafe because I was too angry and I had never witnessed such ignorance.The same shop owner (who's water bill and house bill I just paid for with my money) was staring at me in anger through my whole time in his place of business. I felt like those black guys in those old American films who would walk into a cafe and are welcomed by daggers from multiple eyes.

Based on my little experiences and my observations, I think you'll be more than fine in most parts of London. People are more open minded than in many other places around the world when it comes to race. I studied in London for my undergrad and it was fantastic. There are racists everywhere but I feel like some more advanced locations, if racist, make it subtle. So, even if you come across racists in London, you probably won't realise till later on when you are a seasoned veteran lol. London is a place where you can gain respect based on your character. Many people have interracial relationships there even. Even many other parts of UK seem to be used to the idea of having foreigners around. Sure, there may be people who are not openly racist and there may be some who are but there will always(at least for now) be racism everywhere . I think when it becomes more dangerous is when people refuse to open their minds to the possibility that you may be judged on your character.

So I guess really, it just depends on the location and how intense the racial discrimination is.Also, it depends on age, family upbringing , and etc. I'm certain not everyone in Sicily is racist. I met some of the most incredible people I have ever met in my life and I met girls who just wanted to know me because I am black (although that may be racist in itself). Even if a location has a lot of racism, it doesn't necessarily mean you will have the worst time of your life as there may certainly be people who aren't ignorant or foolish. As I understand, there are even some(probably 0.5 %) African professors in India . My dad even used to go there for business trips so I doubt it's all doom and gloom.

I'd say it's more people don't have a choice, you're not allowed to voice racism or if you dislike foreigners, I live in the sticks, end of the train line near the coast, and I hear foreigners getting off the train.... that's when you know it's bad. And no, I do not really like all foreigners.
Reply 71
Original post by Galaxie501
Literally this.

Approved by a real German™, even though I'm not sure what you mean with the "thoroughly deserved"....

I was mocking the poster I quoted. Of course it isn't deserved, future generations cannot be held accountable and punished for mistakes their ancestors made.
Original post by IronicalMan
I'd say it's more people don't have a choice, you're not allowed to voice racism or if you dislike foreigners, I live in the sticks, end of the train line near the coast, and I hear foreigners getting off the train.... that's when you know it's bad. And no, I do not really like all foreigners.

Yeah, that's true. England is politically correct in many ways. That's why if there is racism or discrimination, it is subtle .

On a different note, I like how maybe 50-60% of people in UK do give minorities a chance to prove they are of sound character.
Original post by eagleagu
Yeah, that's true. England is politically correct in many ways. That's why if there is racism or discrimination, it is subtle .

On a different note, I like how maybe 50-60% of people in UK do give minorities a chance to prove they are of sound character.

tbf I do, but some consider me a nazi lmao. I hate unpatriotic people for example, but if my brown friends are patriotic... then I have no problem with them.
I've had some racist stuff said to me....but I am white and English so it can't be counted as racism because my ethnicity makes up the majority, a cracker and a white boy lmao. As well as being threatened because I was on the wrong estate once, though I think that's just because I weren't from it and they're very gang orientated in london

That is *******s.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-34911619

"White British people have become the most common ethnic group to be targeted in racist incidents in Scotland, according to new figures. There was a rise of almost 4% of racist incidents in 2013/14, with much of that increase due to cases involving white people."

lol @ "wrong estate".

How many people here in London actually go onto estates, let alone the wrong estate?

Stop reading your right wing propaganda. You might actually see, that immigrants are not that bad.

lol@cracker.

This isn't the American South. No one uses that here.

Etymology. Slave foremen in the antebellum South used bullwhips to punish African slaves, with such use of the whip being described as "cracking the whip." The white foremen who cracked these whips thus became known as "crackers."
Original post by DorianGrayism
That is *******s.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-34911619

"White British people have become the most common ethnic group to be targeted in racist incidents in Scotland, according to new figures. There was a rise of almost 4% of racist incidents in 2013/14, with much of that increase due to cases involving white people."

lol @ "wrong estate".

How many people here in London actually go onto estates, let alone the wrong estate?

Stop reading your right wing propaganda. You might actually see, that immigrants are not that bad.

I was drunk, and lawfully you can only get done in for racism if you're white British. My step fathers Bangladeshi friend called a black person a ****** when she wouldn't pay for a taxi, police were called, nothing happened, because you will not get prosecuted in court for racism, especially him, because he's brown lmao
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey
I'm an Indian student, hoping to get into a good medical school in the UK.
I was just wondering, are there a lot of instances towards Indians in the UK/London?

Thanks

im indian, did med studies in london also and had all positive experiences. london is also really the best city to be a student in the world i think.
i cant speak for the rest of england.
I was drunk, and lawfully you can only get done in for racism if you're white British. My step fathers Bangladeshi friend called a black person a ****** when she wouldn't pay for a taxi, police were called, nothing happened, because you will not get prosecuted in court for racism, especially him, because he's brown lmao

Who said that Bangladeshi's cannot be racist?

You just said you were a victim of racism and you couldn't do anything because you were white.

I have just proven that can because White people are the most common complainants.

"White British people have become the most common ethnic group to be targeted in racist incidents in Scotland, according to new figures."

"Overall, 27.2% of victims came from a "white British" ethnic background - which includes "white Scottish" and "white English" - with 21.2% coming from a Pakistani background."

Let's be serious, this drunk thing with a wrong estate never happened.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Who said that Bangladeshi's cannot be racist?

You just said you were a victim of racism and you couldn't do anything because you were white.

I have just proven that can because White people are the most common complainants.

"White British people have become the most common ethnic group to be targeted in racist incidents in Scotland, according to new figures."

"Overall, 27.2% of victims came from a "white British" ethnic background - which includes "white Scottish" and "white English" - with 21.2% coming from a Pakistani background."

Let's be serious, this drunk thing with a wrong estate never happened.

Basically I wondered around London drunk, like really drunk with a few friends and the estate thing did happen, my friend went to meet a contact at the estate and a group of youths(that had never seen us) asked what we were doing there, when we told them, why, they said it's the wrong estate followed by what I said, they said it was the wrong estate ect and that we should go quick, with what I said.( a group of obout 3). Complaints do not equal prosecution, look up UK law. You cannot be a victim of racism unless you're a minority. My bangladeshi friend, did not get done in, because 1. the women was black, and 2. he's brown. Can't really claim racism can you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending