The Student Room Group

Need advice on applying for the CILEx qualifications?

It's a little far in advance for me to be thinking being that I haven't completed my GCSEs yet, but I really want to get into the legal industry someday, hopefully to become a paralegal, legal executive or legal secretary.

However, what with rising tuition fees, I am not entirely sure whether university will be an option for me yet, so I am hoping to explore as many options as possible.

I am potentially thinking about applying for a CILEx apprenticeship, since apprenticeships are a fast-track to a career in Law without having to worry about mounting student debt and being paid whilst learning on the job. However, I need a little advice on whether or not this is a good option for me, and possibly a little explanation on how the CILEx apprenticeship scheme works.

Please help! I need advice preferably before my A Levels because if I end up going onto higher education instead, I will need to pick A Levels relevant to my chosen course.
Original post by Lydia2213
It's a little far in advance for me to be thinking being that I haven't completed my GCSEs yet, but I really want to get into the legal industry someday, hopefully to become a paralegal, legal executive or legal secretary.

However, what with rising tuition fees, I am not entirely sure whether university will be an option for me yet, so I am hoping to explore as many options as possible.

I am potentially thinking about applying for a CILEx apprenticeship, since apprenticeships are a fast-track to a career in Law without having to worry about mounting student debt and being paid whilst learning on the job. However, I need a little advice on whether or not this is a good option for me, and possibly a little explanation on how the CILEx apprenticeship scheme works.

Please help! I need advice preferably before my A Levels because if I end up going onto higher education instead, I will need to pick A Levels relevant to my chosen course.

My mum works in the legal profession - she thinks the apprenticeship route is a good alternative but she says it's really hard work. ILEX takes 4 years and it's usually studying in your own time (maybe one day a week at college or distance learning) alongside working full time. Legal Execs don't usually earn as much as solicitors and the pay can be low whilst training. Maybe try for some work experience in a local firm to get a feel for it? Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by AmyPilot
My mum works in the legal profession - she thinks the apprenticeship route is a good alternative but she says it's really hard work. ILEX takes 4 years and it's usually studying in your own time (maybe one day a week at college or distance learning) alongside working full time. Legal Execs don't usually earn as much as solicitors and the pay can be low whilst training. Maybe try for some work experience in a local firm to get a feel for it? Good luck.

Really helpful advice, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest