Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

TESOL question

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi there. I'm hoping you can help me please.
    I hold CELTA Level 5 and PTLLS Level 4.
    Literacy and Numeracy Level 2
    ICT Level 1: Word PowerPoint and Excel
    Recently completed 'The Essential Knowledge of Key Stage Teaching' (classroom and school based)
    I hold Qualifications, Diplomas and Vocational awards in Beauty Therapy ( would any of these count as an equivalent?)
    Also Mentoring with a few credits
    I have many years experience teaching ESOL to students at a private college which involved Home Office requirements, entailing lesson planning and delivering these lessons. Also 2 years teaching in the local community.
    Have recently returned from Saudi Arabia after 2 years where I taught English, EAL and various vocational subjects to 18-25 year old students.
    I do not hold a degree, PGCE nor Teacher Assistant qualification; which everybody is asking for today. I have the experience, but not the specific papers asked for.
    So...my initial question is...where can I go from here please, which route? Basically the same question as asked above.
    I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards :-)

I think a general teaching qualification would be more versatile.

I think it would help to clearly identify what sort of jobs you want to go for. If it's all about esol then do the relevant qualification but for general teaching new ctlls/dtlls or post 16 pgce could be more versatile. For instance, if you wish to be able to teach beauty therapy subjects.

Your experience in Saudi Arabia sounds really interesting. But, As Beautifulbigmacs stated above, you need to clarify your goals a bit. Do you want to stay in the world of TEFL or move into mainstream teaching? There are numerous routes you could go with your qualifications. Off the top of my head:

TEFL in UK
    -You have a CELTA, which I believe is all that is required to work in some private language school in the UK. Something like this. Or do a search on TEFL.com. I am told some language school jobs are rather poorly-paid in the UK compared to what you might make overseas.

-If you're looking for summer work, maybe some kind of uk summer camp (again try the usual tefl sites). Not my cup of tea but younger friends say they find them fun and well-paid.

-Have you considered upgrading to a DELTA? This is for career advancement in the TEFL line (e.g. better-paid DOS/ADOS positions in language schools).

-I believe that a lot of Uni teaching (English for Academic Purposes) requires a DELTA or a Masters in linguistics (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Uni positions seem to be better paid from what I've seen.

Secondary School

-Not all teaching assistant roles need a qualification. I got a support role in a UK secondary school with just a couple of years experience teaching abroad like you. It was in a school in a very diverse area with a lot of new immigrants, so maybe they saw my experience as useful. I have to say these roles are often part-time, term time only and badly paid. However, may be worth it for the experience (and schools may pay for you to do TA qualifications once employed, which can lead to a pay rise).

-You could also get a Cover Supervisor or Unqualified Teacher position, a bit better paid but not as much as if qualified. Plus a lot of the stresses of a 'real' teacher.

FE Colleges

-You might be able to get something (beauty therapy or ESOL) with just your PTLLS but I believe they would want you to work towards something more whilst employed (Is it still DTLLS or has that changed?).

Further Study

- You're absolutely right that a degree plus PGCE/QTS would widen your options significantly. There are various routes to achieving this but all take a heavy commitment in terms of time/effort. Most people are advised to spend time in a school (either volunteering or as a TA/support position) before taking this on board.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.