The Student Room Group

Maths A Level Advice

I currently have my heart set on taking Maths for an A Level along with Economics, Politics and History. I am a rather average student in maths and I am really not gifted in any way. Maths has always been one of my hardest subjects. I have to get an A in order to meet the requirements for my desired course (PPE at Oxford). Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by JamesLeo
I currently have my heart set on taking Maths for an A Level along with Economics, Politics and History. I am a rather average student in maths and I am really not gifted in any way. Maths has always been one of my hardest subjects. I have to get an A in order to meet the requirements for my desired course (PPE at Oxford). Any advice?

It could be argued that Maths is one of the easier subjects to get an A in because of how objective it is compared to essay subjects. Have you just done GCSE? If so which grade do you expect to achieve?

what did you get at gcse?
I am looking to get 5/6 in the new grades (more likely 6) which is the equivalent to a high B and a low A. I reckon the requirement for Mathematics at my desired Sixth Form is a 5 which is the equivalent to a high C and a low B.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I am looking to get 5/6 in the new grades (more likely 6) which is the equivalent to a high B and a low A. I reckon for Mathematics at my desired Sixth Form is a 5 which is the equivalent to a high C and a low B.

I reckon you should definitely choose to do it, especially if you want to do PPE as well, seeing as it would help towards the Economics part of the course. If you're willing to put the work in then you will most definitely succeed. It is very admirable that you are applying to Oxford and are setting your sights high. With this determination you will certainly achieve the grade you require :smile:
I am looking to get 5/6 in the new grades (more likely 6) which is the equivalent to a high B and a low A. I reckon the requirement for Mathematics at my desired Sixth Form is a 5 which is the equivalent to a high C and a low B.

your going to struggle with a level maths if your only getting a c in gcse maths

therefore you will need to work hard at least 3 times a week to get a decent grade at a level as it will be much hrder
I think amlost anyone can get an A in a level maths, it all down to how much work you put it. Tho that could be said for any subject but I think its especially true for maths. However you should get at least an A at GCSE, or you will have to do even more work at a level to catch up

With a year to go before the exams and knowing how important it is to your plans, if you can't improve your GCSE result to at least a 7 then don't do maths A level. Work hard over the next year to show yourself you have the aptitude to succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Are you that's the requirement? At my sixth form and many others the requirement is an A
Reply 9
I just finished AS maths and I would strongly advise you to follow the HegartyMaths courses on Youtube. Also, my school finished the teaching of C2 only a week before the exam and you really don't want to be in that position.
Aim to finish your learning of the content about a month before your exam, so you can do the past papers.
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest