The Student Room Group

What the hell am I?

As much as I deplore our obsession of identifying ourselves with things we have no choice over (e.g. ethnicity, nationality, etc.) instead of our actions, I still feel lost as I don't know what I am.

I was born and raised in Egypt, till I was 18 in 2014, that's when I moved to London. This alone I think should make me Egyptian, but I don't feel so. I hate Egyptian culture, their if-it-works-then-its-perfect mentality and their way of life. I never for a minute thought I belonged there, and had been living 18 years of constant exasperation with the way every thing works and the way people think there.

I am British citizen and I do speak with a British accent despite being here only for two years, to the point that during my university interviews, the interviewer did not believe I was here only for 2 years and asked me to submit further evidence to prove that. I like British liberal culture and the British pessimistic mentality, but I don't feel I have the right to be a part of it given I wasn't born or raised here.

On top of all that, I have no religion to fall back to, and thus there is pretty much nothing that I feel I belong to.

Any thoughts?
I for one am happy to accept you as British. Welcome!
(edited 7 years ago)
You are a human being.. that's all that should matter in life!
Of course you have the right to be a part of it, being British isn't an earned right, as far as I'm concerned you can identify however you feel most comfortable :smile:
You are what you choose to be

But as a 'native' I must say you are the type of 'immigrant' we want in this country rather than clinging desperately to your past identity you embrace your new identity.

But know this I would defend your right to be British without question or care.
(edited 7 years ago)
British

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending