The Student Room Group

What can I do with an economics and maths degree?

Basically I chose to apply for maths and economics joint honours degrees at Russell group unis and got offers but i have no idea what I wanna do as a career and don't really know what I can do tbhI'm kinda interested in going into accountancy because I did some work experience in the finance department of a firm and enjoyed it but I'm not doing an accounting degree so do I need to a masters for that? I'm not set on accounting- what other jobs could I apply for in case i change my mind?

Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions but I'm having kind of a panic attack at the moment because I realised that I have absolutely no plan in life and only had that vague idea of "I enjoy economics and maths a lot, why not do that for uni?"
Original post by desaf1
Basically I chose to apply for maths and economics joint honours degrees at Russell group unis and got offers but i have no idea what I wanna do as a career and don't really know what I can do tbhI'm kinda interested in going into accountancy because I did some work experience in the finance department of a firm and enjoyed it but I'm not doing an accounting degree so do I need to a masters for that? I'm not set on accounting- what other jobs could I apply for in case i change my mind?

Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions but I'm having kind of a panic attack at the moment because I realised that I have absolutely no plan in life and only had that vague idea of "I enjoy economics and maths a lot, why not do that for uni?"

You don't need an accounting degree.

Most grad jobs are open to you as someone with a general academic nonvocational degree as they don't typically specify anything.

So really you could do a finance grad scheme, PR, HR, grad entry med, law, IB, trading, sales, securities research, consulting, operations research, etc. The list is pretty long mate.

You're better off thinking of a career you'd like and seeing if you are eligible for it than asking for what you're eligible for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman

Most grad jobs are open to you as someone with a general academic nonvocational degree as they don't typically specify anything.

So really you could do a finance grad scheme, PR, HR, grad entry med, law, IB, trading, sales, securities research, consulting, operations research, etc. The list is pretty long mate.

You're better off thinking of a career you'd like and seeing if you are eligible for it than asking for what you're eligible for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! It's a relief to know that I can still do accounting with an econ and math degree. But is an accounting degree preferred over other degrees by the big blue chip companies when they recruit for finance grad schemes? Like do the companies expect you to learn some basic accounting on your own before you apply if you aren't enrolled in an accounting degree?
Depends on the uni you go to. Some have more opps than others.
Reply 4
Original post by swervybang
Depends on the uni you go to. Some have more opps than others.

Firmed Warwick, insured Notts but I'm not sure if i fulfilled the grade conditions of my Warwick offer.
Original post by desaf1
Firmed Warwick, insured Notts but I'm not sure if i fulfilled the grade conditions of my Warwick offer.

Oh, you're fine then. It's just that if you went somewhere like London met or lsbu your options will be a bit more limited, although any things possible with effort
You can go in to economic consultancy, if you do plenty of econometrics. There are likely to be a lot of data/statistics/analytics jobs in the future especially big data. If you like particular branches of economics there are opportunities to go in to macroeconomic consultancy, competiton economics, trade, foreign exchange etc
Original post by desaf1
Thank you! It's a relief to know that I can still do accounting with an econ and math degree. But is an accounting degree preferred over other degrees by the big blue chip companies when they recruit for finance grad schemes? Like do the companies expect you to learn some basic accounting on your own before you apply if you aren't enrolled in an accounting degree?

Dunno why people make that assumption, no.

They're graduate training programmes for a reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno why people make that assumption, no.

They're graduate training programmes for a reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're always giving quality advice. I see you on a lot of careers threads. keep it up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending