The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think there is one so thanks for creating it!

I am applying to Warwick (assuming I achieve a decent score in my ukcat - 6 aug).
I have a first in a non-science degree (from Warwick :smile:).
Other schools I am applying to: notts, sgul and either swansea or newcastle.
I am guessing you're also preparing for your ukcat?
Reply 2
Original post by dr_2b
I don't think there is one so thanks for creating it!

I am applying to Warwick (assuming I achieve a decent score in my ukcat - 6 aug).
I have a first in a non-science degree (from Warwick :smile:).
Other schools I am applying to: notts, sgul and either swansea or newcastle.
I am guessing you're also preparing for your ukcat?

Most of those require the GAMSAT right? I wanted to do the GAMSAT but it's way too expensive for me at moment so I'll just stick to the UKCAT. Yeah I'm preparing for it right now but I still haven't booked it yet
I'm graduating next week so once thats done and over with, I can fully focus on that. I'm thinking of also applying to Newcastle and Kings, Southampton/Barts but haven't decided yet. All depends on my UKCAt score really
(edited 7 years ago)
thanks for making this!

i graduated from Bristol with a 1st in BSc Biochem in 2011, and completed my PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology last year from Leeds. i realised that i wanted to make a more direct impact than research alone allows, and started preparing to apply for 2017 grad entry. Warwick is one of my top choices alongside Southampton and Newcastle (and maybe Birmingham or one of the London Univs). my ukcat average is 790, dragged down by my poor VR score of 590, I hope the national average remains close to previous years so I will still be above the Warwick cutoff.

looking forward to getting to know some of my fellow warwick applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I'll also be applying, I went to the open day on Wednesday and loved it. It's my top choice but I'm also applying to Newcastle and King's. UKCAT is booked for August 9th!
Hi!

I'm currently studying biological sciences, graduating next year. Warwick is my top choice for GEM 2017, also applying to Newcastle, Southampton and Kings/Barts (i don't fancy the GAMSAT :tongue:) I'm taking my ukcat at the start of September and have a few weeks free before then to practice. I'm absolutely dreading the ukcat haha! how are you all preparing?
UKCAT on the 27th. I have a first in human physiology and (hopefully) a distinction at MSc in biomedicine, depending on research project. Looking at Warwick, Barts, Swansea, Birmingham, SGUL, and maybe Southampton. All depends on UKCAT.
Reply 7
Hey, I also went to the open day on July 6th at Warwick. I've just finished my degree in biomed with a 1st. Warwick is definitely my top choice. I'm just taking a break from revising for the UCAT and came across this forum. I have my exam on 9th August so just got a months subscription to Medify. I'm doing a Medic portal UKCAT prep course this sunday in Nottingham and a Kaplan prep course 24th July to try and make sure I've covered all bases for the UKCAT. Just concentrating on VR because warwick mainly look at that when ranking students for interviews ect.

I'm not taking the GAMSAT as I just wanted to concentrate on (hopefully) doing really well in one exam. Also i'm on holiday for much of August so wouldn't have much time to prepare for it. I'm applying for Southampton, Newcastle, Barts or Kings and Warwick. :smile:
Original post by oliw16
Hey, I also went to the open day on July 6th at Warwick. I've just finished my degree in biomed with a 1st. Warwick is definitely my top choice. I'm just taking a break from revising for the UCAT and came across this forum. I have my exam on 9th August so just got a months subscription to Medify. I'm doing a Medic portal UKCAT prep course this sunday in Nottingham and a Kaplan prep course 24th July to try and make sure I've covered all bases for the UKCAT. Just concentrating on VR because warwick mainly look at that when ranking students for interviews ect.

I'm not taking the GAMSAT as I just wanted to concentrate on (hopefully) doing really well in one exam. Also i'm on holiday for much of August so wouldn't have much time to prepare for it. I'm applying for Southampton, Newcastle, Barts or Kings and Warwick. :smile:

I was thinking of doing the kaplan course but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Will you let us know how you find it? :smile: Do Warwick only look at VR when deciding who to interview?
Reply 9
Original post by WannabeDrA
I was thinking of doing the kaplan course but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Will you let us know how you find it? :smile: Do Warwick only look at VR when deciding who to interview?

They rank initially on VR and cut off everyone below the national average (which we were told is around 500 of the initial ~2000 applicants), then after that rank on total UKCAT score and academics to get to interview.
Reply 10
Original post by sophmlg
I'll also be applying, I went to the open day on Wednesday and loved it. It's my top choice but I'm also applying to Newcastle and King's. UKCAT is booked for August 9th!

I missed out on the open day that just went past so I've booked for one in September. How was is it though? What was the structure of the day like?
Reply 11
Original post by koolkat95
I missed out on the open day that just went past so I've booked for one in September. How was is it though? What was the structure of the day like?

I really liked it! They had a brief intro then quite a detailed talk on admissions with Q&As at the end. They told us a bit on the curriculum, a bit on why Warwick in particular is a good graduate choice, all the usual chat you'd expect at an open day. After lunch they ran some taster sessions including radiography and ethics which were quite short but also good. They also had a session showing us the plastinated anatomy specimens they use to teach first year which were amazing. Plenty of opportunities to ask current students any questions as well as to meet other prospective applicants.
i didnt have a chance to go on any open days. the one thing appealing for me about warwick is the fact its graduate only and theres a lot more people in the year, and it feels like the course will be somewhat tailored more to mature graduate students. what attracted you guys to warwick?
Reply 13
Original post by WannabeDrA

Yeah I'll let you know if it's useful. I've heard that even if the actual day doesn't help, that all the extra material they give you on the day helps you to practice. Practice is the main method of revision for UKCAT so fingers crossed. As for interviews, like mentioned below, they first rank by VR and then your total UKCAT score (minus SJ because they dont take that into consideration). Then they ask you to submit a work experience diary/contact details of all the work experience youve done and decide who to interview from all that info.
Reply 14
I think the work experience record is more just to make sure that everyone in the top chunk of UKCAT scores has a sufficient amount rather than choosing whose they like best? They ask the highest scoring people to submit records and then invite you to interview if it meets their requirements.
Reply 15
Original post by sophmlg
I think the work experience record is more just to make sure that everyone in the top chunk of UKCAT scores has a sufficient amount rather than choosing whose they like best? They ask the highest scoring people to submit records and then invite you to interview if it meets their requirements.

Yeah surely if you didn't have the 70hours or it was irrelevant then they wouldn't interview you. I don't think it's a case of whose they 'like best' They ask for contact details for the work experience too so maybe they get references from them do you think? There must be some sort of selection process due to work experience otherwise they would just interview everyone that gets above the UKCAT score and they could speak about their work experience in interview. Also I recorded the admissions talk and he said 400-450 student submit work experience diary and yet only 300-400 get to go to the selection centre.
Reply 16
Original post by oliw16
Yeah surely if you didn't have the 70hours or it was irrelevant then they wouldn't interview you. I don't think it's a case of whose they 'like best' They ask for contact details for the work experience too so maybe they get references from them do you think? There must be some sort of selection process due to work experience otherwise they would just interview everyone that gets above the UKCAT score and they could speak about their work experience in interview. Also I recorded the admissions talk and he said 400-450 student submit work experience diary and yet only 300-400 get to go to the selection centre.

Oh okay I didn't realise that many people were cut off with the work experience record! Maybe a few people have insufficient experience by that point, or just don't submit a record at all?
Reply 17
Original post by sophmlg
Oh okay I didn't realise that many people were cut off with the work experience record! Maybe a few people have insufficient experience by that point, or just don't submit a record at all?

Most likely there isnt enough hours or irrelevant experience maybe.
Hi guys, sorry if this is not quite relevant to this thread but do any of you know if Newcastle and Southampton look at the situational judgement score of UKCAT? Just asking, as we were told on the Warwick open day that they don't. Sadly couldn't make the open days of the other two :/
Hi :smile: I'm looking at applying to Warwick too (and Newcastle). Didn't do fantastic on ukcat, average of 675 and VR 600. Can I ask what kind of work experience you all have or are planning on doing? I have already done a week of shadowing and now I'm looking at something I can do weekly maybe, but not sure how that will work in between working full time. How many hours have you/will you be doing?

Latest