The Student Room Group

maths and econ

Hi , ive decided that i wana study maths and econ in 2008, so far Ive found about 3 good unis that do this course. Can anyone tell me lyk the top 5 that do this course please. Also i do not already study econ, this wont ruin my chances will ti the prespectuses say it wouldnt so it shouldnt right? Anyway, can some provide me with a site ro some books i should read in preparation for my persoanl statement.

Thsnks in advance

Nikhil xx
Reply 1
Don't worry, you shouldn't be disadvantaged for not studying econ.

Top 5 for maths and econ, in my opinion, would be:

LSE
Warwick
UCL
Bristol
Nottingham
Reply 2
alright! thx..so are there eny books or journals i should get my hands on in preparation
Reply 3
?.
Reply 4
the financial times.
LSE Maths and Econs offer is AAB, which is easy to meet. However, beware that they reject many people outright, i.e., LSE doesn't even give them an offer.

Warwick Maths and Econs: I didn't have econs but I got in (but I have 2AEAs). Warwick's offer for this course tends to follow the maths one, which is AAB and Merit in AEA/STEP. It is arguably harder to meet the Warwick's offer with the AEA paper in place.

If you have made up your mind, I suggest that you also ask at the economics forum. If you want to have maths and econs knowledge, another possible approach would be to do BSc Maths and MSc Econs, which would arguably give you a strong foundation in both, while putting two top universities on your CV, possibly with contrasting "feel". "Edders" did BSc Physics at Imperial and is going to start MPhil Econs at Oxford this year.

Again you have to consider for yourself.

Latest