The Student Room Group

Living in the back of a PANEL VAN at university?

Hi,

In October, I'll be heading off to university to study a degree in Economics at Leeds (assuming my A level grades go according to plan). Like everyone, I've applied for student accommodation on the university campus for my first year, but I was wondering in my second and third years would it be feasible to live in the back of a converted panel van. I know this sounds crazy, and perhaps quite undignified at first hearing, but I've seen many people living in London choose to live in the back of a converted van to get around the ridiculous house prices (and rent) in London.

The reason I think this would be a good idea's because it would mean I have a lot more spare money at the end of each month, given my monthly spending on accommodation and necessities would be minimal, at most £250 per month. Just to show you some examples of what a converted van can look like:

ldv-vandogtraveller.jpg

Here's also a news article on a couple who decided to ditch their home in order to live on the road:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3146971/A-mobile-home-Couple-fed-cost-renting-spend-10-000-create-flat-dreams-old-white-VAN.html

Contrary to popular belief, vans can have toilets and showers installed even though they're not connected to the mains. Solar panels on the roof is also more than enough to power a TV and a laptop, and a wireless USB dongle can provide an internet connection.

What are your opinions?
Sounds spartan tbh - Leeds gets cold in January.
Where are you going to park it, many car parks ban 'overnight camping' and residential areas might get a bit intolerant of you living there.
If people work out you've got a laptop and telly in there it's quite likely to get robbed.
Any sort of mechanical problems and you could end up without a home and a means of transport in one blow.
Showers and toilets don't work by magic - you'll have to empty a sewage tank out somewhere.
No postal address to use for job applications
---
otoh if you pull it off you could write a book about your experience or at least sell your story to the daily mail.
The problem is the infrastructure needed to support it long term, I doubt a solar panel would be enough(especially in winter) and as above you'll need somewhere to dump the toilet waste(you can't legally just dump chemical toilet waste down an ordinary drain).
Hey Jake!

Did you end up doing it? I'm about to do it this year in my VW caper! Was wondering how it went?
This sounds amazing.

I've known a few people to live on a barge but never in a van- at least not over any considerable length of time.

Would you base yourself on the uni car park? Do they let you do this? Then what about insurance.

Original post by Zackichann
Hey Jake!

Did you end up doing it? I'm about to do it this year in my VW caper! Was wondering how it went?
Lmao man will be taking the peng tings back to his place and they be like "yo why you living in a van"

man ain't gonna get no punani
Reply 6
Hey its something Im thinking about for my final year. I figured that I'd just have a good gym membership for toilet and showers plus my unis library is open 24/7 (would just live there). Im thinking about renting a parking space so I don't have to worry about that but it'd be great to hear if u actually did it!
Someone at my university is doing this currently :tongue: One of our campuses is very large and is open 24/7 so he parks there, using the gym for the shower and toilets, and the uni kitchen facilities to make food. There are laundry facilities on-site as well and he uses his parents' address when a postal address is required.

I wouldn't have liked to be him in December but the amount he's saving probably more than makes up for it! Would I recommend this? Hell no. But is it possible? If you're happy to live without some creature comforts then apparently so.
Reply 8
Original post by jake4198
Hi,

In October, I'll be heading off to university to study a degree in Economics at Leeds (assuming my A level grades go according to plan). Like everyone, I've applied for student accommodation on the university campus for my first year, but I was wondering in my second and third years would it be feasible to live in the back of a converted panel van. I know this sounds crazy, and perhaps quite undignified at first hearing, but I've seen many people living in London choose to live in the back of a converted van to get around the ridiculous house prices (and rent) in London.

The reason I think this would be a good idea's because it would mean I have a lot more spare money at the end of each month, given my monthly spending on accommodation and necessities would be minimal, at most £250 per month. Just to show you some examples of what a converted van can look like:

ldv-vandogtraveller.jpg

Here's also a news article on a couple who decided to ditch their home in order to live on the road:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3146971/A-mobile-home-Couple-fed-cost-renting-spend-10-000-create-flat-dreams-old-white-VAN.html

Contrary to popular belief, vans can have toilets and showers installed even though they're not connected to the mains. Solar panels on the roof is also more than enough to power a TV and a laptop, and a wireless USB dongle can provide an internet connection.

What are your opinions?

You could do but you'd miss out on the 'fun' of sharing a house as a student and also the company of other annoying housemates :biggrin:

Where would you park it? Would you feel safe?

We knew a NQT teacher who did this, except it hadn't been fitted out properly, just half done and it was a real hassle for him.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Someone at my university is doing this currently :tongue: One of our campuses is very large and is open 24/7 so he parks there, using the gym for the shower and toilets, and the uni kitchen facilities to make food. There are laundry facilities on-site as well and he uses his parents' address when a postal address is required.

I wouldn't have liked to be him in December but the amount he's saving probably more than makes up for it! Would I recommend this? Hell no. But is it possible? If you're happy to live without some creature comforts then apparently so.

Wonder if it's OP?
Original post by Joinedup
Wonder if it's OP?

Nah :tongue: We're not in Leeds, my uni doesn't do economics, he's in fourth year now and his name's not Jake :tongue:
I currently live in a van in Leeds with my partner, we have done winter and summer in Leeds and both where easy and great! We have a wood burning stove so that helps in the winter... Finding places can be about difficult but once you have found a few nice locations you just alternate so the locals don't get upset, as for shower and toilet, gym membership is a good idea as they have both plus you can sculpt your guns! And we just use a milk bottle for those middle of the night tinkles.Follow us on Instagram if you wanna check out our van @van_for_twoAnd let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:
Reply 12
We live in our van conversation in Leeds :smile: we have 300watt solar 300 amp hours in total for batteries . 2000 watt invertor,
Hi there,I'm thinking of trying something similar for next year but struggling to find any information about legalities. Would you be able to put me in touch with this person who is doing it at your university??
I've looked at this too but it doesn't seem like I would save much with the insurance costs
How much is insurance
Original post by Van_for_two
I currently live in a van in Leeds with my partner, we have done winter and summer in Leeds and both where easy and great! We have a wood burning stove so that helps in the winter... Finding places can be about difficult but once you have found a few nice locations you just alternate so the locals don't get upset, as for shower and toilet, gym membership is a good idea as they have both plus you can sculpt your guns! And we just use a milk bottle for those middle of the night tinkles.Follow us on Instagram if you wanna check out our van @van_for_twoAnd let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:
Oh please

Quick Reply

Latest