Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to self fund courses even though I can very much get funding

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I am unemployed at the moment.

    I had done sort of back office jobs and call centre jobs.

    I just completed a short open university 30 credit course which I paid for myself.

    I could get funding for things like the open university but I don't want to.

    I am planning on maybe saving what I can when I get jobs and maybe paying for a course at a local college part-time even if I happen to be unemployed again when I do.

    Thing is I don't mind not having a degree and would happily work at it, at a leisurely pace
    as I can't see it helping my jobs prospects. Im nearly 28

    Has anybody else not liked the idea of getting funding for their part time study?

    It makes zero financial sense to self-fund when you can get a student loan to pay for it. I suggest you read this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...n-fees-changes
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.