The Student Room Group

Self teaching further maths for uni

I'm just finishing my first year of college and have got predicted As and A* in maths drama and film (and probably an E in philosphy I hated the subject and dropped it) and I taught myself the as maths syllabus in 4 months at home in a last minute change of plan and am now doing A2 at college. I'm also now doing AS further maths in my second year but I really need to get the full A level in it to make a competitive application because of drama and film. So would it be possible to self teach the A2 further maths as I'm learning AS further at college, or the other option is to do an extra year and finish the further maths then and probably some other as levels but I really don't want to do this , mostly because all my friends would've left and it would be a bit should destroying. I want to apply to kings at Cambridge and they said AS further is usually fine but because I'm doing drama and film it would be almost necessary to have the full A level
, also I am going to do step (which is why I'm also worried about the work load)
I self taught FP1-4 (both OCR and AQA) and M2-4 over both summers, it is possible and it isn't that difficult if you set your mind to it and study effectively. Don't just focus on the textbook, do questions, past papers. I also pre-read some topics I was going to study in first year so it definitely doesn't take all of your time. If you just take a couple hours every evening (or every other evening) you'll be able to fit in the time to cover it all. Or you can take the fully focused position and spend everyday on it, you'll get it done faster and probably more efficiently, but either way, it is possible.

I personally looked at the textbook initially, moved onto practice questions, then past papers and also read some lecture notes as well.

I was in the same position as you and I'm currently at Cambridge, set your mind to it and you'll do it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest