The Student Room Group

Gcse options suitable for dentistry?

I've chosen my options for next year and I'm going to start Year 10, i am doing the new GCSE in summer 2018 and I have chosen: English Language, English Literature, Maths(Higher), Religious Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Spanish and Geography... Are these subject applicable for dentistry? p.s. I have chosen separate/triple science, I'm either choosing to go Manchester Uni or University Of Liverpool.
Original post by happydimples
I've chosen my options for next year and I'm going to start Year 10, i am doing the new GCSE in summer 2018 and I have chosen: English Language, English Literature, Maths(Higher), Religious Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Spanish and Geography... Are these subject applicable for dentistry? p.s. I have chosen separate/triple science, I'm either choosing to go Manchester Uni or University Of Liverpool.

Tbh it doesn't really matter what subjects you take apart from English, Maths and Science. It's good that you're taking separate sciences since they are harder and you get more GCSEs. Universities will only tend to look at grades, so make sure you get as many As and A*s as possible, especially in Maths, English and Sciences. I think that your other choices are good, since they are varied (two humanities and a language). It's your A levels that really matter, but good GCSE grades also count towards your application so make sure that these are subjects you will be able to get good grades in :smile:
Yeah I think those options should be fine.I'm targeting Dentistry too. I don't think it matters what GCSEs you take but your A-Level options matter more for a Dentistry career. At GCSE, I took all those subjects you listed above, except I took History and Drama and Chinese instead of Geography and Spanish.
Reply 3
Doesn't matter, just need English, Maths and the sciences, I applied for dentistry too
Your choices are fine
(edited 7 years ago)

Doesn't matter what GCSE's you take. It matters what A-Levels you take.
Original post by yoda123
Doesn't matter, just need English, Maths and the sciences, I applied for dentistry too
Your choices are fine

Hmm, it does say on the application that you need atleast 7 GCSE's above an A(Grade 7), but i hope you become a good dentist!:smile:
Original post by sulaimanali
Yeah I think those options should be fine.I'm targeting Dentistry too. I don't think it matters what GCSEs you take but your A-Level options matter more for a Dentistry career. At GCSE, I took all those subjects you listed above, except I took History and Drama and Chinese instead of Geography and Spanish.

Aww thats cool, i hope you become a dentist and achieve your dream, and yeah i totally agree its about the A-Levels more!
Aww thats cool, i hope you become a dentist and achieve your dream, and yeah i totally agree its about the A-Levels more!
Yeah! Thanks - hope you do too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest