The Student Room Group

GCSE's for medicine

I'm going to start of by asking, are my GCSE results very important for medicine(to get into a good/really good school at uni)?

Secondly if the previous answer was yes then are these GCSE's good enough? (these are just rough as I have not received my results yet)
Maths A
English lang A
English lit B
German A*
Science B
Add science B
Citizenship C
Geography A
History B
Art B
Computer science A

so overall: A* AAAA BBBBB C

Sorry it's just every time I've gone to a talk about medicine, the speakers always assume that you have achieved mostly A*'s and A's at GCSE, which makes me worry/nervous.
Original post by Actuvia
I'm going to start of by asking, are my GCSE results very important for medicine(to get into a good/really good school at uni)?

Secondly if the previous answer was yes then are these GCSE's good enough? (these are just rough as I have not received my results yet)
Maths A
English lang A
English lit B
German A*
Science B
Add science B
Citizenship C
Geography A
History B
Art B
Computer science A

so overall: A* AAAA BBBBB C

Sorry it's just every time I've gone to a talk about medicine, the speakers always assume that you have achieved mostly A*'s and A's at GCSE, which makes me worry/nervous.

GCSEs are important, but each medical school has its own policy and entry requirements. Some have very low GCSE requirements, or apparently in the case of Imperial, no requirement whatsoever. Others will pick candidates for interview pretty much on the basis of how many A*s they've got e.g. Oxford. There is no universal policy.

Those grades would be okay, but clearly you would be up against other students who have many more A*s. You need to do your research and apply carefully: you could still get an offer, but the rest of your application needs to tick all the boxes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending