Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Getting academic grading without doing another course?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    So I got a bad grade for my art degree in 2011 and I want to do a Masters (Art History), at one of the 'good' unis (bear with me). I had a really stressful time in my third year and my grades plummeted. I know I'm more than capable of getting a good Masters and I didn't want my awful third year to permanently stop me from doing what I always wanted.

    I did apply to one Redbrick and amazingly they let me in on the strength of an essay they requested. I couldn't go on the MA because of funds in the end. I'm saving up and should be able to afford it in the next two years.

    I will apply to that uni again, but there are others I really like too (in the same group), and, if I'm being honest, Oxford, which I have loved for years. I know I can do it if they let me in, but of course one look at my grades and they will think otherwise. I emailed them and was advised to take something like a postgrad certificate to prove my academic ability.

    Only problem is I don't have the money. I don't have the money for another course ontop of my MA and I don't have the money to allow me to stop working full-time.

    Is there any way I could prove myself without paying for another course in-between? I have relevant experience and will study myself in the time I have before I can apply, but I know I need to reassure them I didn't deserve these low grades. Any way I can pay a tutor to mark a paper I write without it being related to an actual course... anything? I can pay something, just not another few grand.

    Any thoughts would be much appreciated

    (Original post by namik7)
    If they've said they want postgrad certificate, you need to get a postgrad certificate. They want to see some evidence of your claim to have been able to pass the third year so well. That evidence needs to come from a benchmarked, established academic course.

    Think about why specifically Oxford and whether you can get a similar course and experience from a different uni that doesn't want the extra cert.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.