The Student Room Group

Why do so many people want to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donte
It's highly stimulating for intellectuals.

Stimulating? It's a load of memorisation. Try doing a maths degree, love.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Stimulating? It's a load of memorisation. Try doing a maths degree, love.

Keep saying that to yourself. What people find stimulating is subjective to different people. Plus, there's only so much you can do by memorising. Medicine IS applied biology with some chemistry content. If it's just memorising, anybody can do the course yet only the best few meet the demands.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Keep saying that to yourself. What people find stimulating is subjective to different people. Plus, there's only so much you can do by memorising. Medicine IS applied biology with some chemistry content. If it's just memorising, anybody can do the course yet only the best few meet the demands.

It has very high standards, sure, but that's an arbitrary construct. Sociology degrees could just as well have the same very high standards, but they don't. It doesn't constitute whether the degree is 'stimulating' or not.
Reply 83
Original post by Trapz99
Woah that's harsh... so do they talk to you now?

Possibly, but they are not 100% certain as the triage nurse deals with everything on their behalf :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
If it's just memorising, anybody can do the course yet only the best few meet the demands.

The grade requirements are partly the result of rising demand; not too long ago, it wasn't all that difficult to get in, grade-wise. :tongue:

And considering that the competition is such that universities use criteria like empathy and ability to discuss ethics as part of the procedure (and people with high grades do get rejected every year), you might be using 'the best few' in the wrong sense there.
Reply 85
Original post by Hydeman
The grade requirements are partly the result of rising demand; not too long ago, it wasn't all that difficult to get in, grade-wise. :tongue:

And considering that the competition is such that universities use criteria like empathy and ability to discuss ethics as part of the procedure (and people with high grades do get rejected every year), you might be using 'the best few' in the wrong sense there.

That's true. I've heard of some doctors who got into medical school having studied English, French and Biology.

Ah ... the better days of the past.
This may not be entirely relevant to OP, but I just find it funny how it appears to be extremely competitive to enter any Medical School in the UK yet there's always a shortage of doctors and NHS are forced to employ overseas doctors. I suppose one could argue how UK universities want only the best candidates from the applicant pool in their medical schools so that's why it is so competitive to get in, but would you not rather open up more spaces in medical schools and teach them the best way you know than have doctors from overseas with qualifications which you as an employer are not familiar with and have to overcome language obstacles (language level was also brought up as a problem recently)? Or at least not complain about having to call for doctors from overseas? Because that's a rather common headline in various newspapers.
Reply 87
Original post by milutin767
This may not be entirely relevant to OP, but I just find it funny how it appears to be extremely competitive to enter any Medical School in the UK yet there's always a shortage of doctors and NHS are forced to employ overseas doctors. I suppose one could argue how UK universities want only the best candidates from the applicant pool in their medical schools so that's why it is so competitive to get in, but would you not rather open up more spaces in medical schools and teach them the best way you know than have doctors from overseas with qualifications which you as an employer are not familiar with and have to overcome language obstacles (language level was also brought up as a problem recently)? Or at least not complain about having to call for doctors from overseas? Because that's a rather common headline in various newspapers.

Maybe you should become minister for health.

Although, that having been said, I've heard that next year medical places are going to be increased by 25%
The job security and respect that comes with it is very attractive.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The job security and respect that comes with it is very attractive.

For yourself or your husband-to-be? :lol:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
For yourself or your husband-to-be? :lol:

Maybe both, why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending