The Student Room Group

going into year 13 but i cant cope - what are my options?

im in sixth form college for A levels (just finished year 12) but i cant cope with any of the work im doing. i dont think im suited to A levels at all or at least not the normal thing of doing 3 at once, im autistic+mentally ill and i just cant comprehend 90% of the courses and i literally have zero support from college (learning support basically abandoned me lol) , id drop out but that isnt an option any more lmao. apprenticeships would be the same thing. i did well in gcses, one B one C and otherwise As and A*s, and im not averse to just killing time for a year til im 18 and dont have to think about school, e.g. by doing more gcses (especially since i regret not doing french gcse because i think id enjoy+understand french A level if i do it later on) but i dont know if thats possible for a 17yo who'll already have three (not very good) AS levels by the time term starts again? is that possible, or are there similar options, or is my only choice really just to try and not kill myself for another year while i fail my A levels? (sorry for the long post!)
Original post by morningmusician
im in sixth form college for A levels (just finished year 12) but i cant cope with any of the work im doing. i dont think im suited to A levels at all or at least not the normal thing of doing 3 at once, im autistic+mentally ill and i just cant comprehend 90% of the courses and i literally have zero support from college (learning support basically abandoned me lol) , id drop out but that isnt an option any more lmao. apprenticeships would be the same thing. i did well in gcses, one B one C and otherwise As and A*s, and im not averse to just killing time for a year til im 18 and dont have to think about school, e.g. by doing more gcses (especially since i regret not doing french gcse because i think id enjoy+understand french A level if i do it later on) but i dont know if thats possible for a 17yo who'll already have three (not very good) AS levels by the time term starts again? is that possible, or are there similar options, or is my only choice really just to try and not kill myself for another year while i fail my A levels? (sorry for the long post!)

Hey! A couple of my friends have dropped out of sixth form because they couldn't cope with it, so they will now attend college, but they still have to come in on results day :smile:

And about your support being scrapped, that is actually pathetic :/ you obviously need and deserve help, which is what you should be getting. I'm autistic too, so in a way I know how it feels :frown: if you ever need to talk to someone, I'm here x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by morningmusician

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear your situation :frown: I have Aspergers. Is there any chance you can move to a college with a better support system? That can make all the difference. Maybe do a BTEC?

If you want to do the French GCSE and then take it up at A-Level you should do it, don't let anything stop you! It will also give you time to improve your mental health.

Best of luck x
Ok calm down have you got your AS results yet? You may ha e dome better than you think .

I would not redo any more GCSE's how do you feel a out restarting college? A-levals are not your Oleg option here you could do a BTECH it's moduler so could be more your style or you could do an AVCE again moduler and you can mix and match with a normal A/AS leval if you want. I hope I helped.

Quick Reply

Latest