The Student Room Group

Received Upper Second Class Honours but expecting First Class. Please help

I received an email today stating that I am now eligible for the Bachelor of Science with Honours Upper Second Class in Computing.

According to my calculation, I was expecting to get the first class one.

Here are the rules:

the student scores an average mark of at least 70% over his/her best 100 credits, including the dissertation, taken at SCQF Level 10,
and

at least 80 credits at SCQF Level 10, including the dissertation, are at 70% or above,
and

at least a further 20 credits at SCQF Level 10 are at 60% or above.

These are my marks:

Untitled.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by baris22

at least 80 credits at SCQF Level 10, including the dissertation, are at 70% or above,

Unless you've edited this down and it means you have 80 level 10 credits AVERAGING 70, this would explain it - your dissertation wasn't a first
'at least 80 credits at SCQF Level 10, including the dissertation, are at 70% or above, '

Your dissertation is at 67%.
Reply 3
Original post by infairverona
Unless you've edited this down and it means you have 80 level 10 credits AVERAGING 70, this would explain it - your dissertation wasn't a first

I read this sentence over and over:

at least 80 credits at SCQF Level 10, including the dissertation, are at 70% or above

Doesn't it mean that 40 credits + dissertation (which is another 40 credit) should be above 70%
Original post by baris22

at least 80 credits at SCQF Level 10, including the dissertation, are at 70% or above

Doesn't it mean that 40 credits + dissertation (which is another 40 credit) should be above 70%

I interpret that to mean you need at least 80 credits including your dissertation where they are all 70% or over, not an average. So you needed to get a first in your dissertation to get a first class overall. My uni had a similar policy where you had to have a certain number of credits being 70+, not just an average of a 70 overall
Original post by baris22

Also you got 60 credits at level 10 with 70 or more, not 80 credits. It seems to me that you would've needed your dissertation + 40 other credits at level 10 with a score of 70 or more, which you don't have.

That's a harsh policy though considering you got 73% overall. What uni is this?
Reply 6
Original post by baris22

baris22's dissertation

Original post by baris22

That's right, you need at least 80 of your credits to be at 70% or more. This has to include your dissertation. Because your dissertation was not over 70%, you didn't get a first. If your dissertation had been 70% rather than 67%, you would have gotten a first.
From the rules you have posted the dissertation needs to be over 70 and yours isn't. Still excellent results though.
Reply 9
It might help if they had included a maths module.
You did not obtain 70% in your dissertation, therefore you have not qualified to receive a first class*

Quick Reply

Latest