The Student Room Group

Matthew Parris - "For the first time in my life, I feel ashamed to be British"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
It has been an act of self-harm,

They had nothing left to lose.
Reply 41
Original post by jneill
Without realising that anti-immigration feeling and racist hate crimes will also be directed at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe they took a calculated gamble that voting to curb further immigration might make the natives back off. That gamble obviously involved the non indigenous population not being told to sling their hooks . FWIW, that is never going to happen imo.

It is also not inconceivable that some of them, more likely the 2nd or 3rd generation - ers, that agreed with the sovereignty notion. Maybe they felt the UK should have greater control of its own destiny and disagreed with the concept of a US of E.

I obviously can't measure or prove any of the above but it is definitely plausible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by generallee
There's a a theory that internet posters who go in for a lot of capitalisation are basically batshit crazy.

I can't say that it is proven, but your post is evidence in its favour...
Chortle

He even picked a TSR username that allowed him an extra two uppercase letters :smile:
Original post by NickLCFC
I don't see the problem with someone voting leave because of immigration. It is arguably the number one issue in British politics right now and a lot of people have genuine concerns regarding mass immigration. Keep misidentifying it as 'racism' all you want.

Often the 'genuine' concern turns out to be thinly-veiled racism. Why else would hundreds of thousands of people living in rural Tory constituencies with almost no 'immigrant' presence raise it as a top issue and why else would they be all too willing to demonstrate their enthusiasm for only slightly-disguised racism in thousands of TV interview moments right after the vote? As Matthew Parris points out in his article.

Also the word 'immigration' itself is riddled with racist overtones in this country, which is why Cameron can get away with highly provocative and neo-racist terms like 'swarming' when discussing it. The word clearly does not, for example, refer generally to privileged super-rich foreigners coming in to buy lavish properties in London. Nor does it apply to well educated white people from Canada, France or the US coming over to do posh jobs. Oh no. It is a pejorative catch-all for people from ethnic minorities, many born here, people from 'less desirable' countries - mainly E. Europe and Africa - and anyone the politician currently using the phrase just doesn't like very much or knows that a bunch of voters don't like very much.

It's tripe to claim that immigration is somehow a carefully neutral intellectual debate about total numbers when it is so clearly to do with xenophobia, hostility to people from certain backgrounds and good old fashioned skin colour hating.

As of course Farage and right wing Tories knew perfectly well when they turned the referendum into an 'immigration' debate, eg, a debate about hated groups of overseas people.
Reply 44
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Often the 'genuine' concern turns out to be thinly-veiled racism. Why else would hundreds of thousands of people living in rural Tory constituencies with almost no 'immigrant' presence raise it as a top issue and why else would they be all too willing to demonstrate their enthusiasm for only slightly-disguised racism in thousands of TV interview moments right after the vote? As Matthew Parris points out in his article.

Also the word 'immigration' itself is riddled with racist overtones in this country, which is why Cameron can get away with highly provocative and neo-racist terms like 'swarming' when discussing it. The word clearly does not, for example, refer generally to privileged super-rich foreigners coming in to buy lavish properties in London. Nor does it apply to well educated white people from Canada, France or the US coming over to do posh jobs. Oh no. It is a pejorative catch-all for people from ethnic minorities, many born here, people from 'less desirable' countries - mainly E. Europe and Africa - and anyone the politician currently using the phrase just doesn't like very much or knows that a bunch of voters don't like very much.

It's tripe to claim that immigration is somehow a carefully neutral intellectual debate about total numbers when it is so clearly to do with xenophobia, hostility to people from certain backgrounds and good old fashioned skin colour hating.

As of course Farage and right wing Tories knew perfectly well when they turned the referendum into an 'immigration' debate, eg, a debate about hated groups of overseas people.
There is a degree of validity in your point but I think it oversimplifies the bigger picture. Throw benefit and health tourism into the mix and the relative numbers from the inferred (un)desirable categories and the debate changes. And prey tell what is wrong with Shire based Tories having a concern about UK wide social and economic and political issues and exercising their democratic right to protest about it in the Referendum ballot box?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by generallee
They had nothing left to lose.

Oh yes they do. I guarantee we will see slums. Less worker's rights too. No paid holiday. Fired if you are ill or have a baby. People don't think they have anything to lose because that sort of thing is out of living memory.

It's funny how this sort of abject poverty rhetoric is OK now. When Ed Miliband and the lefty papers kept going on about it during the last election cycle Tories were telling Labour it didn't exist and was all a figment of their overactive imaginations.

Seems it's OK to dismiss the poorest and most vulnerable as long as it keeps Labour out.
Original post by viffer
There is a degree of validity in your point but I think it oversimplifies the bigger picture. Throw benefit and health tourism into the mix and the relative numbers from the inferred (un)desirable categories and the debate changes. And prey tell what is wrong with Shire based Tories having a concern about UK wide social and economic and political issues and exercising their democratic right to protest about it in the Referendum ballot box?

Nothing - if that's what it is, but if you run an entire campaign based on dog whistling race under a thin layer of faux-political 'immigration' concerns, then you get what you pay for. And Leave did.

I expect it was actually statistically analysed by UKIP, etc - that big, racist poster along neo-Nazi lines just before polling day was carefully calculated and they know what percentage of the electorate harbour deep-seated racism and where they live, as do the Tory planners.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending