The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

This will probably ruffle a few feathers, but I actually think feminism itself hinders women's opportunities in many instances.

For example, my boss was looking to employ a team administrator and asked for my advice on two potential candidates. I looked them both up on Facebook to see if I could get any insight into their characters (as many employers do) and saw that the girl was fervently posting feminist and BLM links to her timeline. I immediately told my boss to opt for the young guy, although his CV looked less comprehensive and he had worse grades. I figured that a rugby enthusiast would probably be less likely to cause trouble in the office than a victimhood seeking feminist tbh.

I felt a bit bad at first, but I'm genuinely of the opinion that people who seek out problems are also more likely to cause problems...
If you want to see gender inequality, go live in a nice Muslim nation. Feminism is a cancer.
Original post by sarkrista112
We do have equality in the West. Put your diatribe to one side and campaign for the real struggles women face in third world countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is that actually we still do not have proper gender equality in the UK. What I have said in this thread is completely accurate and backed up by facts and I do not accept it is a "diatribe". However, obviously there are other counties in the world where women are much more disadvantaged than they are here. I have already said that and I care very much about that; my original post here was specifically about the UK. Of course I believe in equal rights for women in other countries and hopefully I will have the opportunity to campaign for that in the future. Caring about the gender inequality in this country doesn't mean I don't care about worse gender inequality in other countries. The fact that it is worse in other countries doesn't mean that we should ignore the problems in the UK though.
Original post by RhaegoTarg
"
Me and my family voted out, but we are kind of in regret now :frown:"

What's that about? Who said that?
Original post by epage
Okay, but why is that? That isn't just nature, boys aren't just born with math/science ability..

Laziness on the part of girls
Original post by IronicalMan
Women, if they want to, can get into financial positions eg Investment banking or other banking easier than men... YOU DO NOT WANT EQUALITY, YOU WANT EQUITY, you want equal outcome, not equal opportunity, no one stops girls from doing maths ect, they CHOOSE not to. It's their choice, men die younger, men also spend more money on women than women do on men...
And let's be honest, if you ask most women what they want in men, one of the things is that they earn more money than them....
Women have children, well they're supposed to, so ofc more men are in full time work ect, men do not want to stay at home looking after the children/house and never did.... so why would they now? Personally I'd love to have a few children with my wife and if she earned 10000000 pounds a year I would happily stay at home. Another factor is that, if women are the breadwinner in the family, let's be honest a lot of them would get funny if you asked them for money... I'll give you an example, both my aunt and her husband work, but when he buys something, he has to buy her something, but when it's her, it's her money...... he also does all the housework, and with 11 animals that's a lot lmao. Also if more women are at work full time/have careers, less children are born... Although a great thing if women all earned more than men is that men wouldn't get ****ed over so much in divorce...

In financial services, 66% of entry level jobs are held by women, falling to 33% for middle management and falling further still to 18% for senior managers. Women are definitely disadvantaged in progressing through careers within the financial services and there is a very significant earnings gap. Only 30% of board members in investment banks are women; 12% of executive committee members in investment banks are women. I do want equal opportunity but if there was true equal opportunity then there would be a more equal outcome than that. There is a particular problem with women progressing to higher level jobs within the financial services, as with many other careers. I doubt that women who already are in certain careers choose not to progress through them to higher level positions. And if girls were encouraged to take an interest in maths and science at a young age in the same way that boys are then more of them would continue studying those subjects. Given the attitudes of some people on here I will also say that I took all science/maths A Levels plus a science based EPQ and I will be studying Biochemistry at University.

I don't think the fact that men die younger is relevant to this discussion and neither is the amount of money men and women spend on each other. I personally wouldn't expect my partner to spend more on me than I spent on them. That is again a stereotype, I personally would want to be on a similar intellectual level with my partner which would be my priority much more than salary. I would ideally want to earn a similar amount to my partner but would definitely not mind if I earned more.

"Women have children, well they're supposed to". This again enforces the idea that women who don't have children are unnatural which is ridiculous. No-one says that about men who don't have children. Women, as with men, should be able to choose not to have children without being negatively viewed by people and being constantly asked why they don't.

I quoted the earnings gap between men and women who do work full-time. I can see this is going to be an uphill battle... According to you, women are "supposed to" have children and "men do not want to stay at home looking after the children/house and never did.... so why would they now?". Have I just woken up in 1955? Why do you think that women want to do the vast majority of housework and childcare? Men and women should have and equal role in both household chores and childcare in modern society.

I'm not sure where you got that from. It is ridiculous to generalise one example to stereotype all women. I personally would definitely be absolutely fine with giving my partner money if I earned more than them or was the only earner. The main obstacle of women earning more in a relationship is that men often don't want them to.

"If more women are at work full time/have careers, less children are born...". Seriously? That's still an argument? Women can have full-time careers and children. They could do both even more easily if men took an equal role in the childcare/housework and there was more paid paternity leave. If they even "have careers"? Really? You actually think women should still be stay at home mothers?
Original post by theBranicAc
men are just more powerful and valued more than woman, and unfornately its going to stay like that

It shouldn't though, people need to keep working towards making sure that it doesn't stay like that!
Original post by Manchester_123
I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe women should be treated the SAME as men. No sex should get priority or superiority. You are a feminazi and you believe men should be inferior to women. I have 0 similarity to feminists. I will never be a feminist and I'll be dead before I even consider to be one

Feminists believe in equal rights for men and women. They believe women should be treated the same as men. The definition of feminism is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of the equality of the sexes. Normal feminists do not believe that men should be inferior to women and I certainly do not. Yes, there are a small group of extreme radical feminists that maybe do but you cannot blame all feminists for them.
Original post by IronicalMan
Got a question for you, when you look for a partner, are you attracted to someone that earns more money/ would you marry a man significantly poorer than you?
Another reason feminists aren't liked, I remember a thread where a girl would complain because her bf has different political beliefs, and that when he introduced her to his mum and dad he introduced her as my girlfriend, she was offended and asked why he didn't say my partner I love very much.
Feminists complain about video games and words... that's why people don't like them.
Or holding cup cake sales and forcing men to pay more for them because of the pay gap at uni, despite them not earning any more/life choices making up a huge part of that.
As for the joke ****, they're jokes ffs lmao. When I get to uni and meet the females I am going to be living with, I am going to say "which one of you lovely ladies is doing the cooking then" just to see if any of them get pissy haha

No, I would not be attracted to someone simply because they earned more money than me and yes I would marry a man who was significantly poorer than me if I was earning a good salary. As long as my boyfriend/partner's political beliefs weren't totally objectionable then I would be fine if they had different beliefs. I personally wouldn't be offended to be introduced as "my girlfriend" but I think that's maybe to do with age or how long you've been together. You would probably want to be called "partner" if you were older, lived together or had children together.

I would not be complaining about a video game unless it was incredibly sexist. What words do you think feminists complain about? I have never heard of anyone holding cup cake sales and doing that and I agree that that is ridiculous and unhelpful.

Jokes or not they are horrendously sexist. I can take a joke by the way. I had two male friends at school who occasionally joked to me that women were inferior but all three of us were always competing for the best results in our year and I knew they didn't mean it or actually believe it. I and other women can tell if it's meant as sexist or not.

The "females". That sounds really creepy btw. I would have to say I am very glad that I will not be sharing a flat with you and I send my condolences to the girls that are. With your attitude wouldn't you be better in an all male flat?
Original post by geoking
Here we go...

A Man's thinking:
I don't know what to do. I could work in the fields of:

Engineering

Medicine

Arts

Computer languages

Science

Management

Sales

A Woman's thinking:
I Don't know what to do. I'll work as a:

teacher

nurse

HR

hair stylist

It's all about choice. If you're a sheep, don't claim when divisions become apparent.

That is such a narrow minded view. Lets start with you even insulting your own gender. Do you really think that men think "Oh, I have no idea what to do, maybe I'll try medicine to see how it goes...". You have to really want to be a doctor and be really committed and work very, very hard in order to both get into university to study medicine and then to qualify as a doctor.

That's why there is actually a very good gender balance in medicine is it? Because women don't want to do it? Many women are interested in/good at/go into all of the areas that you've listed for "a man's thinking". It's completely ridiculous to say that women don't think about careers in those areas. I again will point out that I am going to study a science subject (Biochemistry) at university so I am not a "sheep" in your terms.

Sorry, but this is just ludicrous... You think that the only careers women usually consider are teaching, nursing, HR, and hairdressing???!! Why not go one better with cleaners, child minders or stay at home mothers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sapphire321
What's that about? Who said that?

@Manchester_123

Don't bother arguing with him.
Either a troll or just incredibly stupid (most likely both).

Called me racist / xenophobic / Islamophobic, in another thread because I don't believe we should bend over backwards to cater to Islam (and religion in general).
Are you sure you've been seeking equality...not justice? Or both?

1468227544523.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anne Dagenhart
Regarding your beginning statement, I don't believe being called princess, sweetie, or love is necessarily a subtle sexist comment. If anything it's completely normal and expected. To prove my point just think what would happen to that teacher if he called both the girls and the boys those names. Really awkward, that's what.
As for art and dance, uhm...what's wrong with them? I enjoy Friedrich's paintings as much as the next person and dancing is the most empowering thing you can do. Is there a problem with those subjects?

No, it isn't necessarily always meant in a sexist way but it can be. The teacher that I commented on at my old school did call the girls "young lady" in a very patronising way. He treated the girls in general very differently from the boys. When he first arrived at the school, he started out treating me like that but because I didn't put up with it and I worked very hard and got the highest results in his subject he stopped it with me but still treated the other girls like that. He taught science and was very old fashioned and sexist; he definitely seemed to view women as inferior in general, particularly in relation to science. He clearly thought that men were automatically better at science in general. Also, most of my male teachers have managed perfectly well never calling a girl "princess", "sweetie" or "love" so I don't think it's necessary. Of course they couldn't call the boys that; that would be really strange but why call the girls that either? And how is a male teacher commenting on a girl's clothes size and saying she should be a model appropriate or reasonable behavior in a school?

Of course there's not a problem with doing art or dance if that's what you want to do. All she was saying is that women shouldn't be encouraged specifically and only to do art/dance/drama/english and men shouldn't specifically and only be encouraged to do science/maths/computing/engineering. Both genders should be encouraged to do either.
Original post by Anne Dagenhart
Missus, you actually think that?

What are you talking about? I was responding to someone who was clearly trolling and has now been banned and his posts have been deleted. Your profile doesn't look like it so far but this sounds a bit like you are trolling. Why are you calling me "missus"?
Statistics have shown time and time again that when the woman out earns her partner the likelihood of divorce rises astronomically.

In fact, I think it may even have been second on the list of reasons...
Also, despite being extremely competitive with their male counterparts, the vast majority of the women on my team are married to men who earn more than them. I even heard one (who recently married a guy who's Head of HSQE at a big construction firm) tell one of the younger secretaries "you want to marry somebody who you love....who also makes a lot of money, heehee."

The 93% of women who don't identify as feminists generally seem to want to marry a well off man. It makes sense as nobody wants to struggle to get by and they will likely be dependent on him if they decide to become a stay at home mother (like my sister who only works three days a week now, having somewhat sidelined her well paid job in military science to look after her two daughters).

These are all things most university feminists don't have much comprehension of, having not yet entered the work world in earnest.
What are you talking about? I was responding to someone who was clearly trolling and has now been banned and his posts have been deleted. Your profile doesn't look like it so far but this sounds a bit like you are trolling. Why are you calling me "missus"?

I apologise for sounding like, how you say, a troll. I meant no harm. As for the Missus part, I was trying to be old-fashioned and mimic the tone in the fairly short novel The Little Princess. I like it a bit too much, you see, so sorry for sounding queer.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, it isn't necessarily always meant in a sexist way but it can be. The teacher that I commented on at my old school did call the girls "young lady" in a very patronising way. He treated the girls in general very differently from the boys. When he first arrived at the school, he started out treating me like that but because I didn't put up with it and I worked very hard and got the highest results in his subject he stopped it with me but still treated the other girls like that. He taught science and was very old fashioned and sexist; he definitely seemed to view women as inferior in general, particularly in relation to science. He clearly thought that men were automatically better at science in general. Also, most of my male teachers have managed perfectly well never calling a girl "princess", "sweetie" or "love" so I don't think it's necessary. Of course they couldn't call the boys that; that would be really strange but why call the girls that either? And how is a male teacher commenting on a girl's clothes size and saying she should be a model appropriate or reasonable behavior in a school?

Of course there's not a problem with doing art or dance if that's what you want to do. All she was saying is that women shouldn't be encouraged specifically and only to do art/dance/drama/english and men shouldn't specifically and only be encouraged to do science/maths/computing/engineering. Both genders should be encouraged to do either.

Well, alright.
(edited 7 years ago)
That is such a narrow minded view. Lets start with you even insulting your own gender. Do you really think that men think "Oh, I have no idea what to do, maybe I'll try medicine to see how it goes...". You have to really want to be a doctor and be really committed and work very, very hard in order to both get into university to study medicine and then to qualify as a doctor.

That's why there is actually a very good gender balance in medicine is it? Because women don't want to do it? Many women are interested in/good at/go into all of the areas that you've listed for "a man's thinking". It's completely ridiculous to say that women don't think about careers in those areas. I again will point out that I am going to study a science subject (Biochemistry) at university so I am not a "sheep" in your terms.

Sorry, but this is just ludicrous... You think that the only careers women usually consider are teaching, nursing, HR, and hairdressing???!! Why not go one better with cleaners, child minders or stay at home mothers?

LOL open your eyes and go into a hospital or office. Guess what - the nurses are almost all women and HR is the same. Ever seen an IT department? How many women you count there? Or in STEM subjects for that matter?

I'm not narrow-minded, you're just in denial. You can argue all you want, but facts are facts.
All of our HR dept are female. The HR Director, the three HR Business Partners and the five HR Advisors. It's not a job I'd want though as with the current restructure they are mainly dealing with people's redundancies. Not a pleasant task.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending