The Student Room Group

Favourite and Least Favourite A-Level

Now that exams are over, it's time to look back on the good (and the bad) times. What was your favourite A-Level? Which was your least favourite?

I think my favourite was English Lit, because that's what I went onto study at uni and further.

My least favourite was Art - I couldn't get my head around the correct way to get a good mark :dontknow:

Scroll to see replies

My favourite was probably Maths which is odd because it's the subject I'm weakest at, but because I put so much effort in, it become relatively easy in the end.

My least favourite was Business Studies. AS was pretty good, but the essays at A2 are so boring and many seem meaningless. Not many people like waffling about leadership for 2 hours!
I'd say my favourites were physics/maths, everything can be reasoned from first principles. A2 Chemistry was not pleasant in the slightest, I'd probably choose Further Maths next time around.
Favourite- Sociology: I loved studying the content and seeing how society actually is...it was just really hard to revise and the exams can be really difficult. .particularly my unit 4 exam :/

My other subjects were all least favourite tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Favourite - History because I just love History. It's my favourite thing, I've always got my head in a History book or watching something History related. I absolutely love it, and I excel in it as well.

Least favourite - Either Biology or English lit. I couldn't get above an E in Biology I was absolutely dreadful - I had to drop it in Easter before we even did the exam. English lit, well I like the lessons but we didn't have a proper teacher and I can't seem to get an A grade in some of the essays, I was always a few marks off. We weren't taught how to do it properly at a higher standard. It grew very frustrating.

But I haven't dropped English lit, so I do enjoy it. :tongue:
My favourite A Level was Geology. I found it to be the easiest of my subjects and consistently gained As and A*s in it (I achieved an A overall). My least favourite was probably Geography, because it was impossible to revise for (due to having very few revision resources and ambiguous exam questions and mark schemes), and it stressed me out more than my other subjects!
Reply 6
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Favourite - History because I just love History. It's my favourite thing, I've always got my head in a History book or watching something History related. I absolutely love it, and I excel in it as well.

Least favourite - Either Biology or English lit. I couldn't get above an E in Biology I was absolutely dreadful - I had to drop it in Easter before we even did the exam. English lit, well I like the lessons but we didn't have a proper teacher and I can't seem to get an A grade in some of the essays, I was always a few marks off. We weren't taught how to do it properly at a higher standard. It grew very frustrating.

But I haven't dropped English lit, so I do enjoy it. :tongue:

I think if I got to do another degree, I'd definitely do a history degree, even though I didn't do it at A-Level or anything. I find it so interesting!

I always think it's such a shame when you like a subject but you just aren't taught how to tailor your work to the spec in order to get a high grade. It's so frustrating!

Original post by Leviathan1741
My favourite A Level was Geology. I found it to be the easiest of my subjects and consistently gained As and A*s in it (I achieved an A overall). My least favourite was probably Geography, because it was impossible to revise for (due to having very few revision resources and ambiguous exam questions and mark schemes), and it stressed me out more than my other subjects!

This seems like similar reasons - a vague specification and not enough information on how to reach those top grades :/ I think this is most prominent in humanities(ish) and essay-based subjects and is a sign of how exams are not the best way to grade some subjects.

It's interesting that Geology and Geography would be the most and least favourite for you - you would have thought because they are quite similar subjects you would like them a similar amount too!
Reply 7
Favourite probably psychology cause its just a memory test and requires no understanding to do well and the grade boundaries are really low.
Least favourite probably english language cause the exam is so unpredictable and you might get lucky with a 'nice' set of texts to discuss or end up with something really dodgy so there's a lot of luck involved.
Favourite - Maths, I don't know how to explain it but it's really interesting and I just love it - I'm taking up Further Maths next year, that's how much I love it.

Least favourite - Chemistry - it was far too difficult and the content wasn't even enjoyable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fox Corner

This seems like similar reasons - a vague specification and not enough information on how to reach those top grades :/ I think this is most prominent in humanities(ish) and essay-based subjects and is a sign of how exams are not the best way to grade some subjects.

It's interesting that Geology and Geography would be the most and least favourite for you - you would have thought because they are quite similar subjects you would like them a similar amount too!
I agree! The major difference was the amount of revision resources available I think. Geology had a detailed textbook which covered the whole specification, but the revision resources for Geography were scarce. I also disliked the human geography content, which obviously made Geography less enjoyable!
I can speak for AS-levels.

Most favourite:

History. Super super interesting.

Least favourite:

Government and Politics. This felt different to Lit and History. It just felt 'softer', like you just learn the syllabus and that's it. No creativity like with Lit or subjectivity with History. Plus my table was rowdy.
I liked all of mine!

At a push though I'd have to say Sociology was my favourite (my Psychology teacher would kill me if I said that at college :tongue:) and Film Studies as my least favourite because despite the fact we got to study one of my favourite actors in AS and I got my mind completely blown by Fight Club in A2, Mexican Cinema was horrible and Film is probably going to be the sole reason I don't get my firm.
Favourite: English Literature

Although I'm doing a Maths and Physics degree, the actual A Level course was well designed and the content was enjoyable. It was also very refreshing and I just enjoyed the debates in class and weekly essays :smile:

Least Favourite: Biology

Too much content and far too memory-based*
Original post by nomophobia
Favourite - Maths, I don't know how to explain it but it's really interesting and I just love it - I'm taking up Further Maths next year, that's how much I love it.

Least favourite - Chemistry - it was far too difficult and the content wasn't even enjoyable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opposite way round for me
Favourite - Geography, had the best class and teachers, such a nice spec and was actually not that bad at it!!Least Favourite - Psychology, it was literally learn essay plans rather than learn the ins and outs of the content and there was so many case studies
Favourite - psychology - it is so fun learning about human behaviour and the studies are so interesting
Least favourite - often switched between biology and health and social care, bio is really content heavy and health and social is p boring at times
Favourite: Physics | I liked how very little of it was just pure memory - it involved a lot of problem solving. Almost the same for Chemistry, and Chemistry would've been my favourite if I didn't have to remember loads of pointless colours.

Least favourite: Computer Science | ******** subject. Gonna drop it next year. Lots of memory, lots of problem solving, and then a few essay questions on top of that. A subject should have no more than two of those.

(Both of these are AS btw, only just finished year 12)
(edited 7 years ago)
Gonna go crazy rebellious and do AS

Best = Art obviously

Worst = Biology
Maths (and further maths) is my favourite. I don't really dislike any of my subjects but I'd say physics is my least favourite out of the subjects I do.
Original post by fefssdf
Favourite probably psychology cause its just a memory test and requires no understanding to do well and the grade boundaries are really low.
Least favourite probably english language cause the exam is so unpredictable and you might get lucky with a 'nice' set of texts to discuss or end up with something really dodgy so there's a lot of luck involved.

I thought you'd like math more!

Quick Reply

Latest