The Student Room Group

Is she being inconsiderate?

Hi there everyone :smile:

A childhood friend of mine is going to university near my mum's house, so my mum offered her free accommodation. She took my room and I was absolutely fine with it, since I attend uni in another city anyway. Whenever I came back to visit Mum, I would just sleep on the sofa for a few days then go back to my uni city.

The trouble is this - my friend said that she would be going to China during the summer to meet her fiance's family, so I assumed I would be getting my room back. I have a dissertation to write over the summer, as I am a master's student so having my own space is essential (not to mention that I'm quite introverted). Now all of a sudden she's not going to China anymore and I am stuck with no room. I have a big family, so the house is full during the summer holidays. I feel suffocated and very, very frustrated; this doesn't feel like home anymore and I would rather be elsewhere.

She also has family in London, who she isn't going to be staying with either, apparently.
Yes I think that's quite inconsiderate but she might not realise, you should talk to her about it and ask if she can visit her family in London. If you're scared to say it outright drop some hints haha. If not, tell your mum the problem and see what she says. She might encourage your friend to sleep on the sofa as it's unfair that her plans fell through and now you have to pay for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
lol wow. The question and explanation pretty much gives you the answer. Never in my life can I come into another man's or woman's house and use someone else's room when they have no other room to use. I'd only ever find this okay if the person is either disabled or elderly. Yeah, she's being inconsiderate. I don't know her but if it was me it would have surely passed through my mind that you may not love sleeping on the couch in your own house.

It's up to you how you treat the matter. When you talk to her about it, it is probably advisable to not let the whole childhood friend thing affect your decision or how you see her point on the matter. Look at her point of view from an objective perspective.

Best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by perspectives
Yes I think that's quite inconsiderate but she might not realise, you should talk to her about it and ask if she can visit her family in London. If you're scared to say it outright drop some hints haha. If not, tell your mum the problem and see what she says. She might encourage your friend to sleep on the sofa as it's unfair that her plans fell through and now you have to pay for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I am going to have to say something, as I have really started to resent her over the past few days. Things will surely turn sour if this doesn't get sorted.

My mum has taken a liking to her, so she would be very reluctant to encourage her to sleep on the sofa. I may need to be the one who raises it, just wish I didn't have to :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I am going to have to say something, as I have really started to resent her over the past few days. Things will surely turn sour if this doesn't get sorted.

My mum has taken a liking to her, so she would be very reluctant to encourage her to sleep on the sofa. I may need to be the one who raises it, just wish I didn't have to :frown:

That's so annoying, you should just move all her stuff out of your room and put it on the sofa and hope she gets the message haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you moved out?
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
But you moved out?

Not completely, as I still have to come home during the holidays. It was a 9 month tenancy that I had in the other city.
I think that she is but she might not know it, you need to talk to her, you could always think about staying with her family instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending