Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Am I screwed for life?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by GreenIceCream)
    Dude, I've been working since I was a child. I started waiting tables when I was 13. I've been working for myself since I was 18. I don't need to be told that life is not all fun and games or that jobs aren't particularly enjoyable for most people. I know it. That doesn't mean I'll stop trying to find a job that's interesting and that I'm good at. I may fail but so far, I've gone with the "a job is something you do to survive" attitude and it's demoralising and unhelpful.
    Well I'm only speaking of reality here. Consider the fact that the majority of the world are working menial jobs paying literal pittance in return with tough and horrible conditions. I implore you to go out to South East Asia or Africa and see how they roll there. There was no need to start getting angry, I was only trying to suggest not to stress yourself out about it because its not worth it. The "dream job" is a goal chased my many and reached by so few.

(Original post by GreenIceCream)
    It's partly mine and I was working there before it became mine as a teenager, so yes.

I'm not McDonald's but clearly I know how to make a profit.

"Manage limited resources" sounds like there's a Zombie apocalypse and I'm called upon to prevent a famine. Yes I know how to handle shortages given enough time (nothing will be done at the last minute unless I call friends/acquaintances who work in nearby restaurants and they're nice enough to sell me drinks/buns/whatever. This works both ways which is why they do it.).

Rent negotiations - rent has been stable since the 2008 fiasco. I know the owner pretty well.
    Council trading licenses - there are several licenses depending on what you sell (food, alcohol, etc). Again, nothing impressive here or worth talking about.
    Enviromental health inspectors - it's not exactly a business relationship. As long as you meet the standards and make sure the staff know what they are, you're good to go (experienced workers know them pretty well, especially the kitchen staff so never had a problem there)

Again, not McDonald's, there are no other shareholders except me and my partner.

Not sure what is there to know about most of those things (VAT? HMRC? what kind of skills does one need to pay taxes?). I don't do business forecasts, I'm not a business analyst (if I knew how well a business would go, I'd buy shares on the market, not run a ****ing diner). Some of those things like "audits" are outsourced to an accountant anyway.

The point is that I've been working full time for 4 years for a business that has remained stagnant. It has been profitable depending on the year but I've not been particularly successful at it (no expansions, nothing particularly new going on since forever). In part because of my health and studies but also because I'm not passionate about it.

I don't know how to convey those things without the hiring manager going "yeah, you're not particularly impressive, are ya?"
    Please stop the extreme humility, it doesn't help. You've achieved far more than most people will in their lifetimes by running a successful business and attending university at the same time. You are quite clearly qualified for most graduate jobs out there, you just have this small issue of not believing in yourself.

You don't have to be McDonalds or ASDA to realise that you've gained valuable commercial skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you think you're screwed for life- I'm predicted a B in one of my A Levels...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.