The Student Room Group

Why did you chose Sociology?

Hello sociologists,

If you're doing/have done Sociology at A-Level or above, me and The Learn Ranger want to know why you picked it, and what you love about it.

You don't have to write loads, but we thought up a few questions to get you going

What does sociology involve?

How does A-Level differ from GCSE? If you didn't do GCSE, was this a problem or not?

How are you assessed?

What skills have you developed?

What does doing sociology lead to, either in careers or further education?

Do you have any advice for people thinking of picking sociology?

Feel free to answer as many or as little questions as you like. We're thinking about writing a little guide to particular subjects - if we use any of your answers you will be credited

In a nutshell it is the study of what people do in society and why. History, philosophy and psychology can be closely related subjects.

How does A-Level differ from GCSE? If you didn't do GCSE, was this a problem or not?

Most people take up sociology at A level because it's not commonly available as a gcse at many schools.

How are you assessed?

AQA A level is exams only. My uni course is coursework only.

I feel better able to understand and contextualise what is going on in the country at the moment, or at least apply social theory to it.

I want to teach it in FE. It is a diverse subject.

It is genuinely interesting and encourages skills that are transferable for studying other subjects.

NB. I didn't do A level sociology or undergraduate sociology. I went straight onto doing a postgraduate course in it because my interest in it was inspired from encountering it in the study of other subjects at uni. As I say, sociology is something that can be widely applied and I think this makes it all the more relevant and useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fox Corner
Hello sociologists,

If you're doing/have done Sociology at A-Level or above, me and The Learn Ranger want to know why you picked it, and what you love about it.

You don't have to write loads, but we thought up a few questions to get you going

How are you assessed?

Feel free to answer as many or as little questions as you like. We're thinking about writing a little guide to particular subjects - if we use any of your answers you will be credited

I chose to study Sociology at A-level without having studied it before, and quite frankly, without really knowing much about the subject. For some reason, my gut instinct told me to choose the subject, and I am so glad I did! (Although I would never recommend choosing to study a subject without having thoroughly researched it obvs:bl:)
Anyway, Sociology is essentially the study of society; our relationship with it, how we shape it and how it shapes us. I had no problem with the subject at A-level despite not having studied it previously - though this was probably because I fell in love with it immediately (by late December in Year 12, I knew I wanted to study it at university).

With AQA, we were assessed entirely by examination - a LOT of writing is involved, so if essays and everything that comes with them aren't your cup of tea, Sociology may not be for you.

The skills you gain from studying the subject include the bog standard essay writing, analysis and evaluation, as well as knowledge of research methods, debating (and more importantly, listening - invaluable in all areas of life!), but personally the most important skill that Sociology has helped me cultivate is being critical and questioning - most people mindlessly accept everything, few know to question everything!

If you have a curious mind, are in any way politically inclined, or see all the things that are wrong with the world and want to change them, choosing to study Sociology is a damn good place to start! Don't let subject snobs tell you that it isn't a 'real' subject or that it'll get you nowhere in life. No one has time for that rhetoric. Unfortunately, said people don't know that studying Sociology will open your eyes and your mind, it'll challenge you and everything you know. It's unnerving but entirely rewarding. I feel sorry for all those who don't study it; it is so worth studying.
Reply 3
I actually chose it as a 4th subject thinking I'd drop it at A2 because it was just a "I need 4 subjects" choice, now I'm waiting to see where I'll be doing it at uni!

It's basically the study of society, and your teacher picks what parts you study. We did AQA and our 4 choices over both years were: family and households, education, crime and deviance and mass media.

Didn't do it at GCSE and it really doesn't matter, you go over all the basics at A-Level because very few do sociology GCSE. Don't decide against it based on the fact you didn't do it at GCSE!

On AQA we had 2 papers a year. An hour long one (F&H) and then a 2 hour one (E and Research Methods) and then at A2 it's 1 and a half hours (MM) and 2 hours (C&D & RM).

Realistically you can do almost anything with sociology as it's such a broad subject.

Give it a go. Don't listen to people who say it's an easy subject, no subject is "easy". It's a lot of work, a lot to remember, but you gain some invaluable skills and it's a really interesting and fun subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending