The Student Room Group

Corrie actress in twitter row after complaining footballers earn 300k

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShannonFlynn22/status/751153760924274688

She said where do you footballers get off earning 300 grand a week when people can't afford clean water

Do you agree with her

Scroll to see replies

Yes footballers are overpaid
Reply 2
No because price is determined by supply and demand. People are willing to pay lots of money for footballers because there is a lot of demand for good footballers since people want to watch them, which will generate lots of advertising revenue and ticket sales. Since demand is so high, clubs are willing to pay millions of pounds to transfer an outstanding player to their club and will pay them a high salary to keep them at the club. That's why some people earn higher salaries than others- because their skills are more in demand.

She doesn't understand basic economics.
I replied to her and she blocked me :lol:
What an adorably vacuous comment.
Reply 5
Imagine saying that when you're in the world's top 0.001% of earners
Original post by Trapz99
No because price is determined by supply and demand. People are willing to pay lots of money for footballers because there is a lot of demand for good footballers since people want to watch them, which will generate lots of advertising revenue and ticket sales. Since demand is so high, clubs are willing to pay millions of pounds to transfer an outstanding player to their club and will pay them a high salary to keep them at the club. That's why some people earn higher salaries than others- because their skills are more in demand.

She doesn't understand basic economics.

This. Footballers fully deserve their salaries just the same as retail workers deserve no more than a pittance and the unemployed deserve nothing.
Tell people to stop watching football then...
Twitter row? Do you work for the DailyMail or something?
I don't know who she is, but she makes a valid point. *Paying £300k a week to a vain man who has a hair transplant and is unfaithful to his wife, and is rude about those who pay his wages, is wrong.
Footballers do not deserve the amount of money they make, they don't deserve minimum wage but they do not deserve more than a specialized doctor or someone who does something important
Original post by sr90
I replied to her and she blocked me :lol:

Saw your tweet :biggrin:

Bang on tbh.
except that none of them actually earned 300k in 2015-16!
www.totalsportek.com/money/footballers-with-highest-salary/
I agree!!!
I dislike football so id be lying if i said anything else!
Reply 14
Well if you consider the relative privilege (lol hate to use that word nowadays but that's what it is) of many people it looks pretty awful. Obesity runs rampant in Western countries while thousands starve to death, in the UK you can live below the poverty line and have a life of absolute luxury compared to a vast proportion of the Earth's population, people have sizeable houses to themselves while others sleep on the streets or crammed 12 to a room. Obviously footballers are in a better position to give some of their unnecessary wealth to worthy causes, and indeed I think that should be a goal (pun not intended) of someone that rich, but it is quite difficult for many people to reasonably take the moral high ground over them, especially an actress who probably isn't doing too badly herself.
Reply 15
Yes and No. Like isn't she paid pretty handsomely too while half the world is starving. This said the highly paid footballers are a bunch of immature, absolutely crap divas. There is no skill or athleticism in UK Football as far as I can see. Something really should be done about it.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Saw your tweet :biggrin:

Bang on tbh.

You never told me what your @ is! There's a few Villa fans who I interact with but i highly doubt any of them are you
Original post by FireFreezer77
I agree!!!
I dislike football so id be lying if i said anything else!

Soljerz shud get there wages!!!
Original post by AperfectBalance
Footballers do not deserve the amount of money they make, they don't deserve minimum wage but they do not deserve more than a specialized doctor or someone who does something important

Then tell people to stop paying to see them. If you want to pay the price of a season ticket in tax every year we'll be able to give our doctors a pay rise.
Original post by JordanL_
Then tell people to stop paying to see them. If you want to pay the price of a season ticket in tax every year we'll be able to give our doctors a pay rise.

Yeah sure like I can do anything to hinder all the footballing organizations

Quick Reply

Latest