The Student Room Group

Confusion about transfering

First let me say that I did search the forum and check the FAQ, but I didn't find an answer.

My situation is thus:

- I'm a mature student and I attended a university this past year as a first year student.
- I very barely failed the year due to medical circumstances that made it impossible for me to perform normally (the uni has ample documentation of this).
- Unless I'm mistaken, this means it is impossible for me to complete my undergrad degree in 3 years as planned.
- The course I studied was quite different than what I expected, and I want to change course.
- My only option to obtain my degree within the 3 years I had planned seems to be to transfer to a university with 2-year fast-track degree programs.

My questions:

1. Is such a transfer possible given my failed first year?

2. Is there any possibility at all that I could still finish my degree in 3 years if I stay at my current university?

Note: Although born in the UK and a resident of the UK for the past four years, I grew up in America so never took A-Levels, GCSEs or whatever else.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Sixgaud
First let me say that I did search the forum and check the FAQ, but I didn't find an answer.

My situation is thus:

- I'm a mature student and I attended a university this past year as a first year student.
- I very barely failed the year due to medical circumstances that made it impossible for me to perform normally (the uni has ample documentation of this).
- Unless I'm mistaken, this means it is impossible for me to complete my undergrad degree in 3 years as planned.
- The course I studied was quite different than what I expected, and I want to change course.
- My only option to obtain my degree within the 3 years I had planned seems to be to transfer to a university with 2-year fast-track degree programs.

My questions:

1. Is such a transfer possible given my failed first year?

2. Is there any possibility at all that I could still finish my degree in 3 years if I stay at my current university?

Note: Although born in the UK and a resident of the UK for the past four years, I grew up in America so never took A-Levels, GCSEs or whatever else.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You don't have to complete in 3 years.

Are you concerned about funding (student loan)?

If you have mitigating circumstances you can retake the year and still receive funding. And even if you don't qualify for mitigation you are allowed 1 year on top of the length of your course.

You can also change course and/or university too. But you would need to do find one that will accept you. You would still get full funding for the duration of the new course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
You don't have to complete in 3 years.

You're right, I do not have to, however my circumstances are slightly different than most. I am 27 years old and I cannot afford to do an additional year (for a variety of reasons).
Original post by jneill

Are you concerned about funding (student loan)?

If you have mitigating circumstances you can retake the year and still receive funding. And even if you don't qualify for mitigation you are allowed 1 year on top of the length of your course.

I'm not too concerned about funding as I spoke to a representative from Student Finance England and it appears I will get funding for the next two years. Because I studied two years in the States they deducted those two years from my four years of funding, after which I applied for a Compelling Personal Reason (CPR) in order to receive one additional year of funding, which I did, which means they will fortunately fund me for three years.

Original post by jneill

You can also change course and/or university too. But you would need to do find one that will accept you. You would still get full funding for the duration of the new course.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. My main concern was this. I am glad to read that transferring despite a failed first year is not completely out of the question and there is a chance that some universities might allow it. This is what I was asking and I hope it is the case. Whether I get accepted is up to the unis of course but it's encouraging to know that at least in theory it's possible,

Many thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending