The Student Room Group

What are your views on corporal punishment?

Poll

Would you support the reintroduction of corporal punishment?

Would you ever support its reintroduction?or do you believe it to be somewhat barbaric?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Napp
Would you ever support its reintroduction?or do you believe it to be somewhat barbaric?

No it definitely shouldn't be reintroduced; I think positive reinforcement is much more effective.
Your poll is lacking options.
Reply 3
Depends on the scientific evidence backing it.
I don't see its value.
No - it creates a climate of fear. The best option is to teach people WHY it's wrong to do something, rather than making them simply fear the consequences.
Original post by Burridge
No - it creates a climate of fear. The best option is to teach people WHY it's wrong to do something, rather than making them simply fear the consequences.

You're saying people that kill and steal don't know why it's wrong?
Original post by champ_mc99
You're saying people that kill and steal don't know why it's wrong?

I'm not saying that. Firstly, there's usually underlying reasons why people kill or steal - not many people do it simply for the fun of it. The same can't be said about misbehaving children. Secondly, children are far more malleable than adults - you don't need the threat of violence to stop them misbehaving (notwithstanding the fact that I find it ethically unacceptable).
(edited 7 years ago)

That is utterly ridiculous. People don't steal or lie or whatever else, because they don't realise it's wrong. No one has ever stood before a judge, accused of shoplifting, and gone 'You what? I'm not allowed to just take them? Well how was I meant to know? I thought all those clothes were being given away. Whoops, my bad'. They do it because it in some way benefited them to do so, had they not been caught.

With regards the actual question, is there any evidence corporal punishment works? I'm honestly not sure; if it does work, then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be brought back. I certainly think parents should be able to smack their children. I was smacked, and I can assure you it did a damn sight more to change my behaviour than explaining to me WHY I shouldn't be rude to adults, or whatever else I'd been doing that I shouldn't have.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
That is utterly ridiculous. People don't steal or lie or whatever else, because they don't realise it's wrong. No one has ever stood before a judge, accused of shoplifting, and gone 'You what? I'm not allowed to just take them? Well how was I meant to know? I thought all those clothes were being given away. Whoops, my bad'. They do it because it in some way benefited them to do so, had they not been caught.

With regards the actual question, is there any evidence corporal punishment works? I'm honestly not sure; if it does work, then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be brought back. I certainly think parents should be able to smack their children. I was smacked, and I can assure you it did a damn sight more to change my behaviour than explaining to me WHY I shouldn't be rude to adults, or whatever else I'd been doing that I shouldn't have.

See above.

It's not so much that kids shouldn't be punished when they misbehave, it's more that they shouldn't have violence inflicted upon them for doing so. It doesn't teach them WHY their actions were wrong; instead it teaches them that there's a link between misbehaving and having physical pain imposed upon them (which, for me, is quite barbaric - what are we, dogs?). Children are also less complex than adults - they're quite easily manipulated without the need of physically being hurt. *

Even if corporal punishment is proven to be effective - and I'm unaware of and study demonstrating such - I'd object to it on moral and ethical grounds.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't understand why people say it's cruel. I would take 100 lashes of the whip over a year in prison.
See above.

It's not so much that kids shouldn't be punished when they misbehave, it's more that they shouldn't have violence inflicted upon them for doing so. It doesn't teach them WHY their actions were wrong; instead it teaches them that there's a link between misbehaving and having physical pain imposed upon them (which, for me, is quite barbaric - what are we, dogs?). Children are also less complex than adults - they're quite easily manipulated without the need of physically being hurt. *

Even if corporal punishment is proven to be effective - and I'm unaware of and study demonstrating such - I'd object to it on moral and ethical grounds.

Again, do you honestly think there are kids who don't understand that stealing is wrong? Or that they don't understand why being rude to someone is wrong? If a child takes something that's not theirs, they did it because they wanted that thing and if they weren't caught, they could have that thing. They didn't do it because they thought it was fair game.

It teaches them that if they do something which is wrong, that there are negative consequences. Ergo, it reinforces that they shouldn't do it. And if there are no long term, or not even any real short term ramifications on health besides it hurting for a few minutes, then what's the problem? You're not doing any actual harm, you're simply hammering home the lesson that they shouldn't do it.

Like I said, I don't know if there's any actual evidence to the effectiveness of corporal punishment. Empirically though, it seems that young people these days are far ruder and less scrupulous than they were even 30 or 40 years ago.
I'm not saying that. Firstly, there's usually underlying reasons why people kill or steal - not many people do it simply for the fun of it. The same can't be said about misbehaving children. Secondly, children are far more malleable than adults - you don't need the threat of violence to stop them misbehaving (notwithstanding the fact that I find it ethically unacceptable).

I'm talking about adults.
Reply 13
Original post by Mathemagicien
You are confusing terms

Corporal punishment = physical punishment, not death penalty

O right. I misread.

The answer is still no
I was whipped as a kid. I don't have a problem with it.
No. Doesn't matter how qualified you are, I don't think anyone has the right to physically hurt someone for their crimes however big or small.
Original post by Radmanistan
I don't understand why people say it's cruel. I would take 100 lashes of the whip over a year in prison.

NO. you would NOT.

I dont want no man touching my bare arse while Im handcuffed, so Ima pass on corporal punishment Throw my arse in jail!! :rofl2: I'll take it!!! I can still get a job when Im out, trust me.
No because SCUM like @It's****ingWOODY would love to be beaten by skanky manchester mistresses like @Supernova36 and it won't be any deterrent at all.
Original post by drctfvygh
No because SCUM like @It's****ingWOODY would love to be beaten by skanky manchester mistresses like @Supernova36 and it won't be any deterrent at all.

@Supernova36 wait you're from manky? :s-smilie:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@Supernova36 wait you're from manky? :s-smilie:

No haha I dunno where he gets it from lolzzzz

Quick Reply

Latest