Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student loans in the event of transfer and change of course

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Dear friends

    I am a mature student who attended university over the past year as a first year student. Unfortunately I was hit with a rather debilitating illness that greatly affected my academic performance, and I just barely failed the year.

    It doesn't appear as though I have any option to still complete my undergraduate degree at my university within the 3 years that I hoped, nor has the course I chose been anything like what I expected.

    In order to complete my degree in the 3 years I planned (i.e. 2 years from now), I am considering transferring to a university that offers fast-track two-year degrees (and changing course).

    My questions: Would I still be able to receive loans at the new university given that I failed my first year and due to the fact that since it's a two year program it the cost of tuition would likely be a bit higher (although lower overall as there won't be a third year)?

    And, does it make any difference to Student Finance if you transfer and continue the same course or choose a different course?

    How many years funding have you had? You get length of course + 1 - previous years srudty.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2016
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.