The Student Room Group

Catolica/Nova SBE or waiting an year (undergrad)

I've just finished High-school in Portugal and I want to pursue a career in high-finance. I need help:
1. in determining which universities I can get accepted into with my credentials;
2. to decide between applying now to portuguese schools or waiting an year and applying to those universities.

Here's my profile:

I have an overall equivalent to a 3.7 GPA (unweighted) or 18,5/20.

19/20 on the Math national exam, 19/20 on the Portuguese one, 18,5/20 on the Physics/Chemistry one and 18,8/20 on the Biology/Geology exam.

Won a regional entrepreneurship competition and a prize on the national science fair. I'm currently participating in another two science competitions, one national and another one international, and started participating in a local Toastmasters club.

Question 1: do I have what it takes to get accepted to Oxbridge, LSE, Bocconi or a Top 10 US school, on a degree related to Finance and Economics?

In my country, I'm certain to get admitted to either Nova or Catolica Lisbon (economics or management degree), and I wouldn't have to pay tuition at Catolica.

I missed the applications deadline in the UK, US and Italy, so I would have to wait an year to apply to those schools I first mentioned. However, I want to work outside Portugal, to achieve top notch compensation and pretty much climb the ladder as high as possible.

Question 2: Should I wait and try to get into Oxbridge, LSE, etc... next year, or just go to Catolica/Nova this year? Would it be worth finishing my degree at 22 instead of 21 y.o. for the prestige and added opportunity?

Sorry for the tl;dr and thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Watawata
I've just finished High-school in Portugal and I want to pursue a career in high-finance. I need help:
1. in determining which universities I can get accepted into with my credentials;
2. to decide between applying now to portuguese schools or waiting an year and applying to those universities.

Here's my profile:

I have an overall equivalent to a 3.7 GPA (unweighted) or 18,5/20.

19/20 on the Math national exam, 18,5/20 on the Physics/Chemistry one and 18,8/20 on the Biology/Geology exam.

Won a regional entrepreneurship competition and a prize on the national science fair. I'm currently participating in another two science competitions, one national and another one international, and started participating in a local Toastmasters club.

Question 1: do I have what it takes to get accepted to Oxbridge, LSE, Bocconi or a Top 10 US school, on a degree related to Finance and Economics?

In my country, I'm certain to get admitted to either Nova or Catolica Lisbon (economics or management degree), and I wouldn't have to pay tuition at Catolica.

I missed the applications deadline in the UK, US and Italy, so I would have to wait an year to apply to those schools I first mentioned. However, I want to work outside Portugal, to achieve top notch compensation and pretty much climb as high as possible.

Question 2: Should I wait and try getting into Oxbridge, LSE, etc... next year, or just go to Catolica/Nova this year? Would it be worth finishing my degree at 22 instead of 21 y.o. for the prestige and added opportunity?

Sorry for the tl;dr and thanks in advance!

I'd take the year out and apply to top schools, your grades are absolutely amazing mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
I'd take the year out and apply to top schools, your grades are absolutely amazing mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! So would you say I have a shot at those schools? I was considering LSE and Oxbridge in the UK, but I would appreciate suggestions on feasible US schools considering my profile. I'm sorry for having to pose so many questions regarding this issue, but coming from a different educational system I find it difficult to evaluate this kind of thing.
Thanks a lot! So would you say I have a shot at those schools? I was considering LSE and Oxbridge in the UK, but I would appreciate suggestions on feasible US schools considering my profile. I'm sorry for having to pose so many questions regarding this issue, but coming from a different educational system I find it difficult to evaluate this kind of thing.

Would apply to a mix of target (Oxb/UCL/LSE/Warwick etc) and semi-target (Bristol/Durham/Notts/Cass/Manc etc) in the UK.

The US is a complete crapshoot such that you can't be guaranteed admission to any of the top schools. If the adcom reading through your grades, SAT scores, extracurricular achievements and essays thinks you would fit in the class, then you'll get it but if they don't or someone is just better than you in most aspects it's wait list or rejection pile for you.

In the US, I would aim for the top Ivies, ivy tier (Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Duke etc) and smaller LACs (Williams, Amherst, Claremont Colleges etc). Aim to apply for 8-15 places in the US. Work on your SAT to get it to above 1500, and aim for 700+ in subject tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Would apply to a mix of target (Oxb/UCL/LSE/Warwick etc) and semi-target (Bristol/Durham/Notts/Cass/Manc etc) in the UK.

The US is a complete crapshoot such that you can't be guaranteed admission to any of the top schools. If the adcom reading through your grades, SAT scores, extracurricular achievements and essays thinks you would fit in the class, then you'll get it but if they don't or someone is just better than you in most aspects it's wait list or rejection pile for you.

In the US, I would aim for the top Ivies, ivy tier (Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Duke etc) and smaller LACs (Williams, Amherst, Claremont Colleges etc). Aim to apply for 8-15 places in the US. Work on your SAT to get it to above 1500, and aim for 700+ in subject tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is money is a big factor in my decision as well. I could only justify spending this kind of money if the reward was big enough i.e. school would open me a lot of doors through prestige and networking options. From what I've read, I find it difficult to justify even Warwick, especially to my parents who will be footing at least part of the bill. That's why I'm hesitant: I may only get accepted to these schools, and then I just wasted an entire year for nothing (as I would probably opt for Catolica/Nova over these).

My other option is completing undergrad in Portugal and then doing a Msf abroad. Do you think I would have a chance to get accepted to post grad at something like Booth in the US, coming from Catolica/Nova?
(edited 7 years ago)
The thing is money is a big factor in my decision as well. I could only justify spending this kind of money if the reward was big enough i.e. school would open me a lot of doors through prestige and networking options. From what I've read, I find it difficult to justify even Warwick, especially to my parents who will be footing at least part of the bill. That's why I'm hesitant: I may only get accepted to these schools, and then I just wasted an entire year for nothing (as I would probably opt for Catolica/Nova over these).

My other option is completing undergrad in Portugal and then doing a Msf abroad. Do you think I would have a chance to get accepted to post grad at something like Booth in the US, coming from Catolica/Nova?

I would say the ROI on any target school in the UK is solid, without a doubt. Plus you're an EU student and universities have guaranteed that EU citizens will still get the EU/UK rate.

As for the US, unless your parents are very well off (i.e. >$200k/year income) you wouldn't pay the full cost in most cases.

Tbh, I'd say explore. You've lived in Portugal already, why not branch out and make new friends/memories elsewhere? The MFin would most likely cost £20k+ which is already nearing on the cost for an undergrad UK degree with EU rate tution..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Plus you're an EU student and universities have guaranteed that EU citizens will still get the EU/UK rate.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Even for 2017/2018?
Even for 2017/2018?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Sorry but where did you find that info? So far I've only come across that kind of guarantees for 2016/2017 applicants.
Sorry but where did you find that info? So far I've only come across that kind of guarantees for 2016/2017 applicants.

Most universities have sent out info emails

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Most universities have sent out info emails

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a link? UkCISA says there haven't been any announcements regarding 2017 applicants yet: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/studentnews/802/EU-Referendum-What-we-know-for-EU-students

Also, what's the equivalent of an A* in percentage? I've seen a table that put A plus (which is the same as A*, right?) in the 100-97 range... If that's true then my grades actually seem quite low for Oxford or LSE.
Reply 11
Bump. What would my chances be at Imperial or Warwick?
Heyy. Just curious. What did you end up doing? I’m at NOVA SBE right now and I also planned to go to oxbridge or some uni like that but I didn’t have the money. Plus covid happened

Quick Reply

Latest